• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trip to the Amazon, advices needed.

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hi

I will go for a business trip to Carajas (iron ore mining site).
The Tocantins river system above the Tucurui dam is draining the carajas area.
Do anyone know what kind of apistos you can expect to find in these rivers and creeks? I know about the Ap. Tucurui and Ap. Caeti but I suppose there are a lot more species that are living there.

Is it possible to bring some fishes out from Brazil (as luggage)? Or do I need some special permission or some kind of export licence?

Staying a couple of days in Belo Horizonte also. Do anyone know if any apisto species occur in that area?

Would be very grateful for any kind of advices!
Thanks in advance.

Best regards/ Per

A

Alex

You do need an export permit and maybe even an import permit to get them back into the US.

Alex

A

Alex

Ooops, I never look to the left. Sweden might need an import permit also.

Alex

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Per,

The Tocantins system above the Represa de Tucurui has only 1 apisto known: A. sp. Araguaia. Between Belém & Tucurui A. cf. agassizii Tocantins, A. cf. regani Belém, A. taeniata & A. caetei forms are known. There are no known apistos in the area around Belo Horizonte. Apistos are not known to occur in Atlantic coastal rivers east of the Rio Parnaiba.

Z

Zeco

Hi Per,

You'll need a special permission to collect and another one to export. Even Brazilian scientists have great difficulties with IBAMA (environmental agency) when they need to collect biological material. I'm afraid that you won't be able to get one.

Neil

Per,

Cool pics. You got to see "brown water", which is kind of half-way to "black water"! :D Although you didn't get a chance to look for fish, it was probably instructive getting to see some of the types of biotopes down there. Maybe next time you can actually dip a net!

Neil

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hi Neil!

If I can go there another time, I will definately try to find some fishes also.
The difficult part will be of course to take them home.

Best regards/ Per

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….