• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Time to take things into my own hands.

AdamT

5 Year Member
I'm breeding Apisto Trifasciata. I don't breed them intensively, and I generally only get 5-10 adults from a spawn. And it seems I'm getting mostly females. Sometimes I spot fish that look like they're going to go male, but nobody ever seems to color up to male form.

So I think it's time to get proactive on the situation. I'm intending to pull my male and one of the two females he breeds with and drop 'em in my 10ga and try to get 'em to breed. But rather than leave the water parameters as they are, I hope to adjust them to skew toward male offspring. I keep my tanks a little cool, so this jives with what I've read.

Has anyone here tried to manipulate offspring sex ratios? Any tips or suggestions? Should I do just temp, or temp and PH? My current tank(s) parameters are generally 72-76 degrees F, RO water reconstituted to 3 deg GH, 2 carbonate H, PH med to high 6's, and a bunch of ferts and supliments dumped in.

Also, I've only really had breeding in my community 30ga. I figure my 10ga - with a little extra lovin - will be a fine breeding tank, but since I haven't set up a specific tank for it before, could the knowledgable suggest anything that might not be common sense? The tank is a 10ga, planted, currently running yeast CO2 (parameters as above, PH maybe a little lower than listed) with a ZooMed turtle 501 lil canister filter on it.

Thx for your thoughts.

-A

lab

5 Year Member
Your relatively low temperature is probably what produces mostly females.

A rule of thumb to get a 50/50 ratio, as I understand it, should be to keep the temp. around 26 degrees celsius (app. 79 degrees fahrenheit) the first 4-6 weeks.

So I would definitely try and raise the temp. a bit.

best regards,
Lars

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….