• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Time of Day for Apistogramma Spawning?

Harrison

I have a pair of Agassizii that look like they are about to spawn. The female stays in her cave for the most part, only venturing out briefly to dance at the male. I looked in the cave briefly using a flashlight, and did not see any eggs.

My question is, what time of day do apistogramma lay eggs? Is it more likely for them to spawn when the lights are out or during broad daylight?

yukondog

5 Year Member
I dont think it matters, I have watched my female get the male in the cave or outside the opening at all times of the day. Try and resist the temptation to use the flashlight it could spook or stress her into eating the eggs.

Samala

Here are my Borellii at Noon today! Last time I also caught them spawning around mid-day (video). First few spawns I didn't see. Working from home gives me all kinds of time to spy on my fish.

Borelli_Spawn_09182020.jpg
Borelli_Spawn3_09182020.jpg

Last edited:

Samala

Followup: Same borellii pair were again spawning right about noon today. But this time they snuck towards a cave farther in the back where I can't spy on them. Brats.

I find it interesting that these two seem to spawn almost exactly every 29 days, even if there are fry present. Last few months it's been either exactly on, or the day before/after, the new moon.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….