• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

the shakes - ready to breed - or is my P. Taenia ill

S

superstein61

Ok, I have a pair of Pelvicachromis Taeniatus - Nigerian Green. Just have them about a week so I am not real familiar with their behavior, etc. They do hang together most of the time. The male is showing great color .

today, the male was having the shakes / shivers. He would stop and shake his body like you so when you shiver - then he would go back to what he was doing. the female was usually there close - so I did not know if this is art of their mating / breeding ritual - or if he had some disease.

I checked my handbook of Fish Health and really didn't see anything that would account for his shivers. He looks fine - and as I said, he is hsowing very good colors.

Any ideas? Thanks

Randall

5 Year Member
Courtship Behavior

Dear Super,

No, your fish isn't ill, sounds like courtship behavior to me, believe it or not.

Good luck with them!

Randall Kohn

S

superstein61

Ok, thanks much - I will keep a close eye on them - this should be interesting to observe

Neil

That is standard mating fare for Pelvicachromis species. It is one interesting ritual. Both of the sexes do it. They sure do seem to like to show off to each other. 8) Hopefully you will be posting about new babies in the tank soon. :D
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….