• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The ID quest goes on!

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I brought these guys in last year (2011) from Peru under the name Apisto. cruzi. I had no idea what to expect other then they would not be cruzi! Here are some pictures of what the fish looked like this past winter and what they look like now. Anyone know what they are???

Last Winter-and yes even the males were showing a black leading edge on their ventral fins
cruzimale2.jpg

cruzimale1.jpg

cruzifemale1.jpg

Now-all pictures are of the same two fish (female in and out of brood care colors)
IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1289.jpg

IMG_1173-1.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nope, none for sale. Just the pair that I kept for myself, but they have started to spawn and now that the tetras that were in the same tank have been moved they should be in business. I had a tank for of them last year and had very few people interested in them at the time because they didn't have the full red tails yet (see the first set of pictures).

raymond82

Beautiful fish!!!

Unfortunately I cannot ID them but I do have a question. The fish in the second picture shows a somewhat inflated belly (don't know a better way to describe it). I see that on some of my wild caught fish too, I thought it was because of underfeeding but I feed them well and I still see it. What could be the cause?

My sincere apologies for being so off topic...

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi all,
With the traditional apologies that I've never actually got an ID right, but they look like they are A. eunotus or very close to it.

Again based on the photos, rather than any markings, how about Apistogramma "Nadelstreifen" on TomC's site <http://apisto.sites.no/fish.aspx?fishIndexID=2282&gruppeID=1>?

cheers Darrel

They do resemble each other very much don't they! I wish there were a few more pictures on TomC's site to compare to.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Definitely not Nadelstreifen. Males of this species, in dominance/aggression mood, has every other vertical bar virtually disappear. It is an eunotus-subcomplex species based on the orange pectoral base and split vertical bar(s) on the caudal peduncle. The dark gill cover, shape of the caudal spot, and bright orange caudal fin lead me to believe that it is a really beautiful population of A. cf. eunotus (Orangeschwanz/Orange-tail).

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Reminds me of A. eunotus 'blue cheek' (as they called them) that I got from Wetspot last year. Sadly, all I got were males, and they destroyed themselves. Seems like there are lots of interesting eunotus color forms that, no matter what we call them, seem to all be a little different.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your female looks very much looks very much like Jeff's (aquaticclarity) females. There is always minor differences in populations. The males look different because they were photographed differently and are in different moods. They appear to be the same species to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….