• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ten gallon...

Microlepomis

I know that this could look tacky... but I'm wondering what Apistos anyone out there with lots of experience would recommend for a ten gallon setup. I've got a spare ten, I have great tap water for apistos... I love apistos... I have lots of experience keeping the in bigger tanks... so I want to try.

Now let me be clear--I'm the guy who says 'Don't try it!" to beginners all the time... I've kept and bred numerous apisto species in tanks from 20 long up to 125, but I just want to try to put this empty ten to good use. So, I know cacas and borellii's are options... wondering about others. I've never kept aggies (I know, everyone else has), so I'd be interested in whether or not they'd be a good fit. Bitaeniata? Wild cacs? (are they more territorial than domestics?) Hongsloi? Rupununi (I happen to have a group of fry right now...) Others? Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I've successfully reproduced in 10s all of the apistos you listed back in my stone age days - and lost some nice fish that way, too. If you are careful and observe the tank carefully - and recognize initial stages of aggression - you should be able to do it. For me it wasn't worth it, especially trying to keep many fry alive in such a small tank. As for species I'd suggest: A. wapisana, A. sp Wangenflecken, and A. sp. Araguaia. Other small resticulosa-, Xingu- and pertensis-complex species should work, too.

Microlepomis

What about aggies and rupuninis? Like I said I've never tried aggies and I've got those rupunini and they're not seeming terribly aggressive. I'd like to start with something cheaper than pertensis types...

Microlepomis

I'm scrapping the idea... Enough of the people who would know are questioning the idea that I'm going to accept their wisdom. Thanks for your input.

davidjp1982

Donating Member
Or maybe some shell dwellers? These are definitely next on my ever expanding list of projects ;)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….