• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Taxonomic Key for Hemichromis

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
With all the problematic Hemichromis identification I think I already know the answer to my question, but is there a taxonomic key out there for the genus?

Jeff

Chugger

5 Year Member
that would be great, if there isn't we should get together and agree on , and make one

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
It would need to be done by a taxonomist/ichthyologist…an export in the field, at least for it to have any validity or to wide acceptance. At best hobbyists could create a guide for Hemichromis identification, which would still be very useful.

Jeff

Randall

5 Year Member
Hemichromis taxonomy

Hello friends,

Mike is quite right (as usual!). Paul Loiselle published "An Annotated Key to the Genus Hemichomis Peters 1858" in the "Buntbarsche Bulletin" in 1992. I used and referenced the paper in my Hemichromis article that was published in the July 2004 issue of "Cichlid News."

http://www.apistogramma.com/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=536

Since Dr. Loiselle published his key, however, several new species have been discovered, and it can no longer be maintained with certainty that some forms found in the hobby correspond to published species. The true identities of the forms that hobbyists commonly call Hemichromis bimaculatus and H. paynei, for example, remain to be seen. Additionally, a form in the U.S. hobby from Kinkole in the DR Congo that resembles H. lifalili may or may not prove to be H. lifalili at all.

For the most part, identifying wild Hemichromis specimens is not really that difficult, if one knows what external diagnostic characters to look for. Problems arise, however, when wild specimens are collected and exporters assign names that lead one to believe that the fish offered was found in one location, when it was actually collected in another. This scenario has transpired several times in recent years and has caused confusion among hobbyists and distributors alike. Additional confusion occurs when hobbyists select for certain characters, i.e. coloration or iridiophores, and after several generations, the offspring no longer resemble their wild counterparts. This has happened with H. guttatus: some of the tank-raised "H. lifalili" seen in the hobby are actually very red and heavily spangled H. guttatus.

Work on yet another revision of the genus is in prep, but it will likely be several years until a paper is published.

Thanks!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info Mike and Randall. I'll have to see if I can dig up a copy of Loiselle's key...dated or not it's a start!

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….