• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tannins and EC

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I never did go do a comprehensive tanins study. I have some raw african rootwood at the moment though, and I can do one. Just for interest sake I ran downstairs after reading this post and tested a few tanks. I did water changes last night with water that is 150 mS (or very close). I had placed a lot of rootwood in two tanks, but I had soaked it all for about a week and got the worst of the tanins out. The tanks with no rootwood measured 165 this morning and the rootwood tanks measured 158. That does not mean that the rootwood lowered the EC, there may have been a difference in the tanks before putting in the rootwood.

That was a great post and discussion. Here is an update on the meter I bought. I still have it, I still use it, and it is as accurate as ever with monthly calibrations. I use it a lot and still have 85% battery power (the meter tells you everytime you turn it on) on the original battery. I bought that meter in September of 2002. Four years... not bad at all. I am still sold on the superiority of Hanna Instruments meters, though I admit that I have not had a reason to go buy any other brand.

I am setting up shop again... well, only selling stuff I will use. I have talked to Hanna Instruments and they will still sell to me. I looked at their prices, which have gone up, and the same meter (the Combo meter for pH/EC/TDS/temp) would cost about $145 now. I need calibration sachets, and am looking for an excuse to do a decent size order so I can get the wholesale prices. If anyone wants a Hanna meter or other product, go look at the Hanna web site www.hannainst.com and send me a pm.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
My combo meter is still working great also.
Easy to use. Easy to calibrate.
After all this time my battery is currently reading 92%!

Michael

BTW - Ted how much is the replacement probe?
How do you know when it needs replacing?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
If the pH electrode is not reading or calibrating accurately it may need replacement. The life of the pH probe can be greatly increased by the regular use of storage solution if you are going to go a while without using the meter (several days). You should not use pure water for storage. I will have to check on the cost of a replacement electrode.

$39 for a replacement probe for the combo meter.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….