• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tank Footprint

Joe Gatchell

Going to purchase a 40 Gallon Long from a friend soon. Footprint is 48 inches by 12 inches, and I believe 16 inches tall.

Would it be feasible to keep 2 pairs of my P. Taeniatus in that size of a tank?

I would plant heavily and lots of bogwood.

After consolidating tanks, the stock would include:

4 P. Taeniatus (2 pairs)
3 African Butterfly Fish (females)
6 Congo Tetras
2 Otos (Algae Control)

Thanks.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Four adult P. taeniatus will be able to live in a tank that size. Only on pair, most likely, will spawn regularly. You can increase the chances of multiple pairs spawning by creating very distinct spawning territories on opposite ends of the tanks. That means that the driftwood and plants should be arranged so that there is no line of sight between the two territories. If you position the spawning caves in opposite back corners of the tank, blocking the view between those caves should not be too difficult.

ARJDA

5 Year Member
Ted's right on the mark with the set up but I would also add about a dozen white clouds to the tank. They will act as dither/target fish and not eat any fry that are produced by the Pv. With enough plant life, some eggs will survive hatch out and replenish your supply of WC's. also, the eggs of the prolific WC's are a good source of protein for the breeders.

Some feel that this would make the Pv. egg eaters but I have not found that to be true at all.

Joe Gatchell

Ted's right on the mark with the set up but I would also add about a dozen white clouds to the tank. They will act as dither/target fish and not eat any fry that are produced by the Pv. With enough plant life, some eggs will survive hatch out and replenish your supply of WC's. also, the eggs of the prolific WC's are a good source of protein for the breeders.

Some feel that this would make the Pv. egg eaters but I have not found that to be true at all.

You don't think the congos would be ok dithers? This is really going to end up being more of a show tank, though I wouldn't mind getting fry out of it.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Large tetras are pretty good fry predators. They are very fast and stronger than the cichlids.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….