• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suggestions for Amazon River Specific Apistos & Rams????

TetraFreak

5 Year Member
Greetings!

Wow, I must say that this site is quite impressive!

Anyway...
I'm setting up a 55 Gal Amazon Biotope community tank

What I'm looking for is suggestions for Apistos or Rams specific to Amazon River(basin).

Tank is 55 Gal
4 x 55W(only t running currently as other 2 are actinic & I haven't replaced the CF's yet.)
Flourite Substrate
Driftwood,
Assorted live plants(Vals, Anubias, Swords, & Wysteria)

Current occupants are:
3 Blackskirt Tetras
6 Bloodfin Tetras,
2 Julii Cories(one died)
2 Common Pleccos(soon to be removed-getting too destructive to plants)
other Misc tetras( Serpae, & glowlite)

Future Occupants:
Blue or Green Tetras
Penguin Tetras
Pencilfish
HatchetFish
More Julii Cories.

Current Parameters:
Temp: ~79
pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0
NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: ~10

Ferts(Flourish Excell) used but no co2 yet.

Besides "Amazon Specific" Apistos & rams, what would be the ideal Params for the inhabitants once it's all setup?

Thanks!

-TF

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Based upon a pH of 7.4, I will assume that your water is a little hard as well as alkaline. I would suggest A. borelli or A. cactuoides. Both are hardy, tolerant species that are readily available.

TetraFreak

5 Year Member
tjudy said:
Based upon a pH of 7.4, I will assume that your water is a little hard as well as alkaline. I would suggest A. borelli or A. cactuoides. Both are hardy, tolerant species that are readily available.

Well,

A few folks were saying that Rams would be OK with these params...

I really hate to have to spend the money on RO system.

Basically I'm looking for a few colorfull Centerpiece fish.

Any other ideas?

aspen

5 Year Member
what is the hardness of your water? gh and kh.

there are many different types of habitat in the amazon. doing a google search for 'amazon habitat' will produce many great articles about this.

in a 55 gal, you have room for a single larger species, like a single or pair of discus with rams and an apisto spec would be nice. good blue rams are hard to find. it is likely that you'll go through a few specimens before you find some that will live very long. they are a really nice fish, a great addition to a s/a tank.

rick

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A few folks were saying that Rams would be OK with these params...

I really hate to have to spend the money on RO system.

Basically I'm looking for a few colorfull Centerpiece fish.

Since you do not want them for breeding, Rams will live in your pH. I totally agree with Rick (Aspen) about the fragility of most commercially produced Rams. Buy locally bred specimens if possible. If you plan to buy apistos, too, you might consider just buying males. They are more 'showy' than females & it is highly unlikely that you will get successful spawns in your show tank. Adding potential breeding pairs will just cause problems for other bottom dwelling fish in the tank.

Greg PL

5 Year Member
to make it precise - there's not such thing as "Amazon biotope". it's arguably the most diversified river system in the world and ther's so many biotopes in it it's hard to count.
since, as you said, you're looking for an attractive addition from SA A. cacatuoides would be the best choice. there are different color variations that may bring more diversification to your tank.

my general rule: less species in bigger quantities - goes well for most of characins, all corys and apistos.

G

greenfish4

because of the sarpae tetra's I would imagine that you would have trouble keeping anything with delicate finnage because they are rellentless fin nippers. I know that the discus would not be an option with the sarpae's. I ended up making mine a little species tank (which became one of my favorite tank) so that the rest of the fish in the big community could relax.

apistoireland

5 Year Member
try filtering over a layer of aquatic peat. this will bring your ph and hardness down, however, RO water will be cheaper and safer and the long run. No need to buy commercially available buffers. Mix with your tap water. It will take a little bit of experimenting to get the water you want but is a hell of a lot cheaper. CO2 will also lower your Ph. As for fish I would suggest any type of cory, cardinals, neons, glowlights, rummy noses, pencilfish. Take your pick. they will all do well with apistos.

TetraFreak

5 Year Member
As far as the SA Cichlids and the PH Levels go...

I'm sure that my pH will be lower once I get my lighting up to 4 WPG and start injecting co2. Have to get the plants and such first so there's lots of hiding places & buy 2 more 55 W CF bulbs & CO2 stuff then I'll be ready to go!

As far as the Serpae, there's only 1 and he/she is very old...~5 years, so most likely won't be much of an issue. besides, I've had Serpae's in with a Betta and they didn't nip at any fins.

Now for the big question...
Does anyone know any reputable breeders in San Diego area???

:biggrin:

TetraFreak

5 Year Member
Water Parameters

OK, ran the full gambit of tests...

pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0
NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: ~40

KH: 4.5
GH: 15

Opinions on these readings?

Greg PL

5 Year Member
good for the more sturdy species: cacatuoides, eunotus, borelli, agassizi, sp. "Mamore", probably "viejita".
those could even breed in this water. if you want to go for black water species - go down with hardness and pH.

TetraFreak

5 Year Member
Greg PL said:
good for the more sturdy species: cacatuoides, eunotus, borelli, agassizi, sp. "Mamore", probably "viejita".
those could even breed in this water. if you want to go for black water species - go down with hardness and pH.

Thanks!

I'm in the process of aquiring some Bolivian Rams. Getting 6 and hoping to get a couple pairings. Nexy will be getting the tank planted heavier for hiding places and such and changing out the dither fish.

Julii Cories & L104's for the bottom feeders, need more bloodfins & looking at either some pencilfish or a school of Penguin or Lemon Tetras.

:biggrin:

aspen

5 Year Member
your ruby rams will do fine in that water, but successful breeding may be hit and miss. you might get a few. but they should live in your water perfectly fine. getting 6 was a wise choice. they do better as a school till you get 2 paired off ime. but a 55 gal is plenty big enough.

rick

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….