• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is there a minimum tank height for apistos?

odin33

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I've been lurking in the shadows for some time now and can't thank everyone enough for the huge amount of knowledge and assistance that's on this site. I love these apistos and really would like to be a successful keeper and breeder of apistos (and other SA cichlids). I've come to call on said assistance with my new project...

I came across a tank locally that I simply "had to have" (yes M.T.S. has a firm grip on me). The dimensions are 48" x 48" x 6". Yes that's a 4' x 4' cube that's only about 6" high (measures a hair over 7" but discounting for thin layer of substrate). Previous owner had it as a saltwater frag grow tank. I've got other plans (I think). Sure shell dwellers are the logical FW choice, but I'm an (aspiring) apisto guy. My primary concern is the limited height and whether that would work for any/all apistos?

Current plans: Disclaimer: We have "brick" water here in Cincinnati- high pH and VERY hard- have RODI unit to combat.
I've got 3M3F Caucatoides whites/golds (just reaching breeding size) that I'd like to put into this tank and watch the husbandry take place. I'll probably add a cleanup crew as well but want to limit the egg/fry vulchering (open to suggestions here- thinking otos, amanos, and a grouping of small cories, maybe a BNP or two). In addition to that I'm a planted tank guy so I would be using pressurized CO2 to grow some of those forground plants that are tougher (for me) in the deeper tanks. Have a 4x54W T5 fixture as lighting (generic bulbs for now). Filtration is up for debate as long as it's air driven. Would love to try Poret foam/jetlifter/ Mattenfilters but the sheets only come in 36" (at least in the states) and I'd need some sort of buttressing/support device for a 48" span. Still researching poret filters and planted tanks (input appreciated). May need to fall on sponge filters (ideas on placement for effectiveness appreciated).

I chose the cauc. for two main reasons: 1. As adults they still should have no issue navigating the entire tank due to size (they currently only hover around the bottom of the tank). The triple reds I had also rarely came up above the bottom few inches unless it was feeding time) 2. I've got the notion of watching the whites navigate the tank against the dark substrate form an aerial view set in my mind.

I welcome and appreciate any and all input/suggestions.

As an FYI, I'm also keeping:
A. Pandurini (1M4F)
A. Borelli opals (1M2F)
A. Pebas (young group of 8)
A. Macmasteri (1M7F but I suspect a few sleeper males disquised as F)
Laetacara Arguaiae (group of 12)
Nannacara anomala (large grouping of youngsters)

Avid Outdoorsman

I was curious about tank height as well. I was interested in the 33L tanks with a 12" height, but I wasn't sure if that would be too low. The only time any of my apistos go above a foot it is to chase a pencil fish away from a cave, but I'm wondering if there would still be a problem with them feeling secure in that shallow of a tank.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
6"/15cm is rather shallow, but it shouldn't bother apistos. My only concern is that it would be hard to observe your fish in such a large, shallow tank. FYI you'll find apistos tend to hide when viewed from above. Forget corys and plecos other than ottos in a breeding tank.

odin33

5 Year Member
6"/15cm is rather shallow, but it shouldn't bother apistos. My only concern is that it would be hard to observe your fish in such a large, shallow tank. FYI you'll find apistos tend to hide when viewed from above. Forget corys and plecos other than ottos in a breeding tank.

Mike,

Thanks for the input and glad to hear it's doable. I just finished the stand, and with needing to fit my RO barrels underneath, aerial views aren't going to be as had hoped. Nice part about it being that high is it's exactly eye level when seated though. :D

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….