• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apisto community tank?

snakemau

5 Year Member
Hello!
I'm new to the forum and to Apistos, aren't they beautiful???
Well I have a 55 gal, that I just finish setting up. Lots of plants driftwood and rocks. Substrate is eco-complete and a "river" of sand (blasting sand) in the middle of the tank. There is an Emperor 400 and a Whisper 30-60 (too much filtration??)
I'll going to let the plants settle and expand before adding fish, but would like to have Apistos, tetras, Blue Rams, Angels and others, so I can have a nice south american river set up.

But I need suggestions on fish species and numbers. So since you guys are experts on the field and I'm just a newbie, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Can I keep 1-2 discus as well?
Anyway, please let me know how can I set it up.
Thanks!

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
If you are going to keep Angels I would not keep Discus. Adult angelfish are quite large "so are discus"and I think two of each would be crowding one or the other for space. I have angels that are one and a half too three years old that have bodies the size of my palm and finspreads that are 8-10 inches extended. If you're tank has live plants I would use Ottos and corydoras as cleanup. Corydoras should be kept in groups, pick a species you like and get five or six that are in the smallest size group; panda, similis, or dwarves like habrosus or hastatus. Some corydoras that start out cute and little get big "robustus, seussi"
There are so many nice plecos but they really like to eat plants and if you arent careful you could end up with a tankbuster. I would wait on choice selections for some of the more experienced members. I keep all of my apistos in pair or group only tanks.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome,

I agree with chris. In a community tank, if you wish to breed apistos, this will not be normally successful as there are many other fish that eat the fry. I also agree with the issue or corys and pleco, as they also compete with space on the floor and caves etc, I would use ottos only. This gives the Apistos and rams enough space to have their territories. Make sure that in the tank you have enough caves, leaves, hiding spaces for these 2 species.
I would also suggest only either angels or discus. One or the other, both again compete for the same space and you do not want territorial battles all of the time. I have a 100g set up and keep 2M4F cacatuoides, 1M2F Sp erdfresser, 1m2F Macmasteri and 1M1F Panduro with 3pairs or Bolivian. All live very well together, providing you give enough space to hide. With what type of Apisto you want, go to the web, pick the colour and style you wish, then have a try. Some are easier to start off with.
Have fun. cheers jan-kurt

snakemau

5 Year Member
Ok, thanks for the comments!
One more question: how about killifish? can I keep some with the dwarfs?
Is my filtration Ok or do I need more? The emperor will turn 400gph and the Whisper 300gph.
Thanks.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Gday again,

The filtration is fine maybe a little of an over kill for a 50g tank, remember , the whole tank water should be turned over at least 3 times an hour and some apistos do not like the water to be to fast moving, as they frequent slow and stagnant pools. What I do is regular water changes and I mean regular for my 35G twice a week 20% andfor my 100G once a week at 30% and also make sure the filters are cleaned out regular once a month.
I personally would not put in the killifish, they do need some different water perameters. They also compete with the food and living space of the apistos.That is just my view. cheers:cool:

Inka4040

5 Year Member
In my 29, I keep a pair of Apistogramma baenschi with a breeding family of Chromaphy. bitaeniatums. They co-exist beautifully, as the bitaeniatums are only in the bottom areas when they are laying their eggs. They also appreciate blackwater conditions as well, though they do prefer water a bit cooler than the inkas do. You know, my original pair of inkas live in a 55gallon community tank that contains harlequin rasboras, danio kythatit, 5 large discus, and 2 siamese algae eaters. The tank is pretty heavily planted, but the inkas manage to raise a good number of fry. I currently have quite a number of juvies of different ages who managed to survive without much help. Not a very productive way to produce fish, but it works if your main interest is not producing quantities of fry.

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
As far as the killies are concerned..... If there is even a 1/4" of open space at the top of the tank they will find it and be on the floor in no time. Killies also like it a bit cooler.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have kept Epiplatys dageti, some Chromaphyosemion, small Fundulopanchax and Aphyosemion killis with my various dwarfs and found them all good companions that generally mind their own business! I put a bit of filter floss in any gaps in the hoods to prevent escapees! Pencilfish and Hatchets are good choices IME too.

Inka4040

5 Year Member
All of my killies are in open topped tanks. In my whole experience with Chrom. bitaeniatum, I've only ever had 2 jumpers (they were lucky enough to land in the tank below them). The key is to keep lots of floating plants so they feel more comfortable, and a heavily planted tank helps too. My guys at least, are far less flighty than the general anecdotes that are bandied around would make them seem.

snakemau

5 Year Member
Ok, then what about this for my 55 gal tank. It is heavily planted, lots of rocks, caves and driftwood:
-6 Otocinclus affinis
-6 Corydoras habrosus
-6 Nannostomus trifasciatus
-1 pair of Blue Rams
-1 pair of A. cacatuoides
-1 pair of A. trifasiata
-1 pair of A. agassizii

Would that be too much? Can I add 1 more pair of Apistos or can I add 1 pair of discus?
Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If it were my tank I would remove one of the pairs of dwarf cichlids. Your list of fish has just too many territorial bottom dwellers. I would be tempted to add a few more surface dwelling fish - pencilfish, smaller killies (they are found with apistos in some biotopes in South America), or even some small anabantoids (dwarf or pygmy forms of gouramis or small wild Bettas).

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning,
Agree with Mike, you wish to spread your fish bottom, middle and top.
With Corys also darting around looking for caves etc, they will compete with the others. Let us know at the end what you have.
cheers jan-kurt

_Green_

5 Year Member
What did you end up putting in the tank and how well has it worked out for you?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….