• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stumped trying to sex my A. borellii (?) "opal"!

cuddlechops

Hey everyone I'm having a lot of trouble reaching a definitive answer about the sex of my opals I got a few weeks ago. The "male" of the pair hasn't colored up much at all and after sharing pics on reddit and Facebook apisto communities, it seems that no one can quite make heads or tails of what I've got (in terms of sex or species). Would really appreciate if any of you experts could lend me your opinion. Thanks! Pics below:
IMG_9827.jpeg

IMG_9826.jpeg

IMG_9825.jpeg

IMG_9824.jpeg

IMG_6202.jpeg

IMG_6200.jpeg

MacZ

The species is definitely a variant of A. borellii, so that is a safe one.
The sex... what size is this fish?

cuddlechops

The species is definitely a variant of A. borellii, so that is a safe one.
The sex... what size is this fish?
here is a pic of the "male" and "female":
IMG_6203.jpeg

male is on the left of the wood, female is peeking out on the right.

and here is a slightly better pic of just the female:
IMG_6204.jpeg

MacZ

I meant an estimate number in centimeters. This could still be a female next to a juvenile in the pictures.
If the fish is over/under a certain size it could mean definitely a male (if bigger than a certain size) or inconclusive (if under a certain size).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
As MacZ wrote, the first photos show a variant of A. borellii. It is not what one would expect to see as an Opal color morph however. The lateral band is definitely odd, having a downward bow in it. It possibly is a genetic defect in the fish. I personally would never accept such a specimen it I wanted a true Opal form. I cannot say anything about the supposedly female fish. The photo are not good enough.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macmasterman

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(