• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange question

teddo10

5 Year Member
Has ony one ever kept Apisto's in a tank wich is 30 inches deep.
Why? Because I can't seem te keep my Apisto's alive in my 400 gallon tank. I'm an experienced fishkeeper but my Apisto's always die, seemingly without much warning, after a few months, mostly 2-4. They eat well, I make sure they get acces to enough food, but invariably they get sick and die in 2-4 days. I've had no problems with Dicrossus filamentosus or Crenicara punctulata, only with Apisto's (Mcmasteri, agassizi spp Tefe, hongsloi).
Could it be they are staying at the wrong depth for to long?? They tend to live in shallow water, while in my tank they stay at the bottom more or less
all the time.

Just a wacky thought.

Ed

naggur

5 Year Member
hey there!
tell u the truth I dont know much about apisto cos I'm new to the hobby all I know is most of the apistos are bottom dwellers, my tank is prob. about the smallest in this area 2g an in ther I got 1 apisto and he's always "down" there but how ever when I fead him he goes to the mid sector. they rn't much for artificial ligth (ligth fixture) and do well in an min planted tanks.

this is all I know about apistos and still lernin every day

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have never had a 30"/75cm deep tank. All I can say is that the depth should not be a problem - as long as the water circulates from top to bottom. Is this a really large tank or just exceptionally tall? What other fish are in it?

naggur

5 Year Member
holy bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppp :eek: this is an tank of my dreams. how much time does it take to clean this tank up? that is emty it clean the glass and ect.????????????????????????

depthc

5 Year Member
Teddo I have a trio of cacatuoides in a tank 24" deep and they seem fine so as Mike said depth should not be a factor.

Your tank looks very healthy and assuming all the other fish are there is only one thing that comes to mind, internal parasites. IP's some times will go dormant for a period and then resurface and possibly kill the fish. I suggest you quarantine your next apistos and treat them for IP's. Ive used Seachem Metrozindale or otherwise refered to as metro and its worked great. My female krib recovered very well and now is thriving in my tank so I recommend seachem metro for ip's.

Andrew

cdawson

5 Year Member
naggur said:
holy bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppp :eek: this is an tank of my dreams. how much time does it take to clean this tank up? that is emty it clean the glass and ect.????????????????????????

You'd be amazed what japonica shrimp can do in a planted tank. Having a realyl successful tank is all about balance and placement of plants, making sure they get the right amount of light. Lighting and CO2 are also very important. If you don't have the right spectrum your plants won't do nearly as well.

BTW Teddo I love that first tank with the maze driftwood in it. That's so sweet, perfect apisto tank.

Fisherking

5 Year Member
Hi, do you feed them with bloodworms??In my experiance many sp will not live long if they are feed with bloodworms.

depthc

5 Year Member
Fisherking said:
Hi, do you feed them with bloodworms??In my experiance many sp will not live long if they are feed with bloodworms.

Do you know of why this would happen? Im curious because i feed Hikari frozen bloodworms maybe twice weekly to my apistos.

Andrew

fatcow82much

5 Year Member
Hey,
I do not feed bloodworms to my apistos either. I have had bad experiences with apistos dieing quick when they are fed bloodworms. I think it is because bloodworms have an outer casing like a sasauge does and i think that blocks their insides. Just my oppinion.

Bobby

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
I have heard that the exoskeleton of the blood worms will cause blockage, especially in smaller fish but this has not been my experience. I feed my apistos hikari frozen blood worms on a regular basis. If you are having problems, it may be that the blood worms have been defrosted then refrozen a time or two. While I do not know much about this personaly, it has been discussed on the forum before and the general response was that feeding refrozen food should be avoided.
Trevor

teddo10

5 Year Member
No I dont feed a lot of frozen mosquitolarvea, I do feed them some red, white and black larvea, but also daphnia, cyclops, artemia and mysis, So there's a mix.

This weekend suddenly and unexpectedly two Crenicara's puntulata, a femal and the "recently converted male, died. No prior signs, they ate well, no changes in posture or behaviour, no losing weight, just out of the blue.

This tank seems doomed for dwarfcichlids!

All my other fish do well also, characins, altums, cory's, shrimp, Beats me??

Ed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….