• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange critters?

Fatts

5 Year Member
I have a 20 L set up with my T. candidi fry in it. The fry are a little over a month old and I have been feeding them routinly with BBS, golden pearls and decap BSEs. I have also started to raise the TDS and the PH in the tank slowly to the level of my tap water. Right now it is at 70 ppm and 6.1.

In the last few days I am starting to notice some white/pinkish little things (worms?) in the tank. They are about 1/2 a cm long and have 4 -5 long tenticles comming out the top of them. The fry and the mother are completely ignoring them and, and the little critters (for lack of a name) seem to leave the fry be. A little research on the web is not telling me anything. The only thing I have found is "tubifex worms", but wouldn't cichlids eat them? and how would they get into the tank?

Any clues? And should I do something about this?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They sound like hydra to me. Basically, they are miniature anemones with poison nematocysts in each tentacle. These little beggars can even eat small fish fry. They are feeding on your micro foods right now. I agree, cut back on the amount fed, but not the freqency. If they get out of control, you'll have to sterilize the tank.

aspen

5 Year Member
clout will kill them all. i wouldn't use clout on apistos unless i absolutely needed to so pull the fish for the treatment. but you need to get those little b******* out of the tank. it ain't pretty what they do to fry. i believe someone mentioned they may grow out of a bbs culture. not sure on that though.

rick

Fatts

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help guys. I am not too worried yet as the hydra are MUCH smaller than the fry. But I am going to try the H2O2 approach tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how it works

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….