• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sold as Apistogramma Agassizii Male. I'm not so sure?

Binjo

LFS sold this to me as an Agassizii Male. He was very dark (almost black) when I bought him, but he still had the bright blue speckles. Now that it is lightening up, I am thinking it may be a Bitaeniata? Also may be female? Too early to tell? He/she is about 1.5 inch / 4cm. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Attachments

• test12.png
    test12.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 260

MacZ

Looks very much like Apistogramma bitaeniata. Probably a young male. For a clear ID a more hi-res picture with the whole caudal fin and erect dorsal/anal fins would be helpful.

Binjo

Looks very much like Apistogramma bitaeniata. Probably a young male. For a clear ID a more hi-res picture with the whole caudal fin and erect dorsal/anal fins would be helpful.
Thanks for the reply! I've been trying to get a better picture with an SLR today, but the Apisto keeps hiding. The dither neons are either spooked or adjusting poorly compared to when they all came home from LFS. I guess I'll have to wait and see

Binjo

After countless tries, I think these are the best pics I can get of flared fins. The SLR Camera just does not seem to cooperate with the aquarium glass and low light.

The tail is actually looking like Agassazii acording to Tom C's site, yea? The rear of the dorsal fin looks either damaged, defective, or not grown out?

Attachments

• flare3.png
    flare3.png
    6 MB · Views: 231

MacZ

It really looks a bit ruffed up on the dorsal. Maybe happened at the store. Also the sunken belly telly me it might either be underfed or having internal parasites.
It's really still a bit young to tell with 100%. So I'm still torn between A. agassizii and A. bitaeniata. Maybe better to say in a few weeks or after some time in quarantine, but then you might not be able to return it if it's the wrong species, right?

Little tipp with the camera: Shoot in a slight angle or turn off auto-zoom.

Binjo

It really looks a bit ruffed up on the dorsal. Maybe happened at the store. Also the sunken belly telly me it might either be underfed or having internal parasites.
It's really still a bit young to tell with 100%. So I'm still torn between A. agassizii and A. bitaeniata. Maybe better to say in a few weeks or after some time in quarantine, but then you might not be able to return it if it's the wrong species, right?

Little tipp with the camera: Shoot in a slight angle or turn off auto-zoom.
Thanks for the help again! I won't return it either way. This is my first Apisto, and I knew I was gambling (on color at least). I didn't know at the time, but him being black at the store meant he was pretty stressed. I'll give him a better home if he can survive quarentine to my main tank. I'm hoping it's just underfed since it's obviously an easier fix. He is eating well and has brown pellet poop for now, so fingers crossed.

Binjo

Adding some more detailed pictures just to keep this thread updated. Now one week out from purchase. I'd like to think the sunken belly is getting better, and color may be starting to seed. Feeding a rotation of Bug Bites Tropical, Frozen BBS, and Krill flakes.

Attachments

• update.png
    update.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 224

Binjo

Providing an update. Now out of quarantine and showing awesome Apistogramma behavior! Looking much more like a male Agassizii. I am really impressed with how the dorsal and tail have healed, and overall how he has colored up. I was beginning to lower expectations of getting color in the fins, but I think there is hope yet.

Attachments

• update2.png
    update2.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 202

Carl W

Looks like a male to me. Isn't the fact that the pelvic fins don't have any black in them a sure sign? If I remember correctly only female agassizii have that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….