• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Simple breeding set up

snakemau

5 Year Member
Ok guys, here's a simple question (yeah right!!)

If I want to breed 1 pair of Apistos (regardless of which specie) can I do it in a 10gal tank, bare bottom, clay pot for cave or similar, HOB or sponge filter? Or will it need substrate and more arrangements? Is not the display tank, I just want to use it for breeding.

I know some will argue that a trio will be better but still can I do it in a 10 gal with that set up or requires more a bigger tank for a trio and more elaboration?

I was searching in the forum and really can't find this kind of info. Some folks breed them in their displays tanks.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning,

Suggest the following.
Sand as substrate, more than one clay pot for eggs, sponge filter is perfect. If you wish you can plant plants in a clay pot with substrate to make it look nicer, these plant pots you can then move if needed. Would also add some oak leaves if you have them, if not also ok.
Hope with 1M and 1F it will work. 10-20G is ok.
best of luck. cheers jan-kurt :cool:

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
More structure will help the fish feel more comfortable. It will also help to keep an aggressive male from beating up the only target in the tank... the female. I suggest some small dithers, such as pencilfish or platies.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with the suggestions everyone gave. I recommend that you first try this with A. borellii or one of the brazilian regani-group species (A. caetei, A. resticulosa). They tend of be less agressive to their partners in smaller tanks.

javoski

5 Year Member
A. borellii or one of the brazilian regani-group species (A. caetei, A. resticulosa). They tend of be less agressive to their partners in smaller tanks.

are the species above easier to breed than cacatuoides ?
or do u think 10 gal is too little for cacatuoides ?

bigbird

5 Year Member
my personal opinion is 20g for a cac, they do get big so to speak.
The other species are different to breed, but the species is less agressive and more peaceful / tolerant with others.
cheers jan-kurt

RHS788

5 Year Member
I am having luck with two orange blaze females and one male with the following system:
a 10 gallon with a Whisper 20 filter and a divider. I cut the divider so it splits the water output to each side. I leave the females divided, then after feeding them up I open the divider and introduce the male from a separate tank. He seems to pick on one female for awhile, then the other. I use two bases of a clay pot. I drill a hole through one half with a concrete bit, then put that one on top of the other to make a cave. I have a cave on each side. The females seem to lay eggs at about the same time, and after they do and after giving the male about 3-4 days with the eggs, I remove the male and put up the divider. Both females just hatched about 20-30 each in this manner. I am leaving the females with the fry for about 3 weeks. After I remove the females, I feed them back up for about 3-4 weeks, then start the process over. This seems to work OK, but only using a 10 gallon, (except for the separate house for the male)

What I have a terrible time at mastering is the reproduction of rams. I have been trying this for two years with zero luck. I am certainly open for any suggestions. Lastly I am not saying the system above is a good system, but it is working for me.

Thanks,

Randy

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I set up a pair of A. cactuoides in a ten gal, >1/4 inch of sand inverted small pot with a small hole and some bits of floating Hornwort. I got way more fry than I expected, about 175. I have scattered them out among 8 tanks 20 Long to 40 gal breeders so no more than about one Apistogramma per gal is present. I have other fry from discus, Sturisoma and Peckoltia L134 along with them. Some pairs are already close to spawning at less than 3 months. I expect these precocious fry to spawn within one more month.

RHS788

5 Year Member
Wow, if you are getting 175, that does put my Orange Blaze in perspective. What are you feeding the females, and how much/often with regard to water changes?

Thanks,

Randy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….