• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sick nijsseni ?

anewbie

The male looks a bit bloated and seems to be breathing heavily. I think he's been like this for close to a week. I know with rams there doesn't seem to be a lot you can do - i do feed the fishes zuc twice a week and other greens. Everyone else in the tank seems ok (I'm using it grow out 10 angels that i raised from eggs - they are around an inch now). The nitrates in the tank has been running a little high (around 25); i do two 50% water changes a week and been keeping the temp around 78. In about a month I'll remove the angels and drop the temp to 76. The female seems ok.

Any suggestions ?

3.jpg

anewbie

Would an epson salt bath hurt? I could put him in a pail with tank water and some epson salt for 15 minutes - not sure how much epson salt to use.

anewbie

I don't think so here is another picture; he is gasping quite a bit. While i don't think iti s dropsy if it were how would i treat him specifically. Sort of getting to the point where i think i have to try something because it has been over a week. I'd like to save him because he isn't that old and it not his fault i can't give him better water.
--
Hum from this it sounds like if it is dropsy i might as well as dig a hole for him:

--
So i guess we have to hope it is something else ?

xxxx.jpg

Are scales raised on the abdomen? It kind of looks like it in the photo. If so, look up 'dropsy'.
yyyy.jpg

Last edited:

anewbie

Is there a way to treat him if the scales are not yet raised. I don't see any in the above pictures or in person.

jantan

It helps to look at the fish from above. Pineconing scales will be much easier to see. Unfortunately dropsy is symptom and can be caused by a variety of things including bacterial, viral or parasitic infections. Very occasionally people have had success with broad spectrum antibiotics. Sorry the outlook isn't better :(

anewbie

Even from above i don't see any obvious pineconing (yet). Ok. I guess what people are saying is it is not treatable and i just have to wait and see what happens. The female is still fine and quite active.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….