• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shipping of Dwarfs

fishboy20

5 Year Member
I was wondering how everyone ships out their fish? I have sent small boxes before of angels, some dwarfs and killifish in bags without straight oxygen. I double bag them and put an ammonia reducer in the bag. How does everyone else do theirs? I am interested in this as there has been some talk about this on another forum. Thanks.

~Jeremy

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I do not use oxygen, but I do use 'unused' water that is very soft and slightly acidic. Ammonia does not have as bad an affect in soft acid water. I also starve fish for 3 days before shipping. I prefer to ship small boxes of a few fish if I have to use a mail service. I use boxes that are about 16 x 14 x 8. I use long bags (6x20 or 4x16) with a lot more air than water. The bags lie in the box on their side so that there ia a lot os surface area above the fish in the bag. If I am using a heat pack, I use very thin styro that I cut to fit the box. I fill the space around the fish bags with styro or cellulose packing peanuts. I make a cardboard box for the heat pack that will fit in one corner of the box; it is large enough for the heat pack to have an inch of airspace around it. Before a close pack the box, I will place a microwaved wet towel in the box (very hot) for ten minutes or so with the box closed. This heats the box up. Everyhting goes in the box fast so that thermal energy does not escape. The top and bottom corner above/below the heat pack has an inch or so of the stryfoam removed. A one cm hole is punched in the box above and below the heat pack. Carbon heat packs need oxygen, and I have had them stop combusting is tight, sealed boxes. I clearly mark all sides of the box with 'tropical fish... keep warm... do not delay'. I have discussed this with FedEx, UPS and USPS employees and they all say that marking the box like that WILL get the box through faster and with better treatment. Drop off the box early...

apistobob

5 Year Member
Ted has provided excellent info. Rather than repeat much of what he said I will offer a few of my ideas. I use water from the tank the fish are in but do multiple 40 - 60% changes in the days before shipping. I do add an ammonia neutralizer. I used to use poly filter pieces but I now use Amquel. I use O2 but am not sure it is needed in all situations.

I often ship fish in crowded bags. I sometimes put up to 20 adult Apisto's in a 10x20 bag. I use very little water in relation to air space. This gives better gas exchange and also cuts weight. I generally place the bags in the box upright. I always double bag. For larger fish I put the first bag upside down into the second. However, when I ship smaller fish I put the second bag in the same direction and make sure to put the rubber banded end up. I have had young fish trapped in the folds created by double bagging.

I have experimented a little with breathable bags but have not switched to them as a general practice. However, I have never had a fatality using them.

Several days of no food is important to purge them.

Finally, like most of fish keeping, there is no best way. There is only the way that works best for you. Ask around, pay attention and learn from your mistakes. Soon you will have techniquest that are second nature to you.

Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….