• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Shipping bag poll #1- mil thickness

Which thickness of shipping bags do you prefer?

• 2 mil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 mil

• 4 mil

• Total voters

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D
Let's try this again. My cumputer network at school is a mess.

This poll will address preferred thickness on shipping bags... 2,3 or 4 mil.

We will run another poll on bag sizes. It is hard to do on one poll.

Neil

I am not sure of the difference between these. Obviously there is, but I only have used 2 mil and never had all three to compare at the same time. I put my vote for 3 mil because it would be nice to have a little thicker bag for safety, without costing alot more.
Neil

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:D
I have found that more bags leak than pop, and for that reason I like to double bag. Two 2 mil bags effectively become 4 mil. I think one fear of 2 -mil bags is that they might split or pop. I am not a high pressure bagger. The few occasions I have had fish arrive to me with a split/popped bag, the other bags were pumped up pretty tightly. I like a little give... not enough to make the bag appear flat, but just enough so that if the box is dropped, the bags will not split or pop. I learned that from watching th folks who ship A LOT of fish... wholesalers. They will use oxygen, but the bags are not tight enough to bounce a coin off of.

Richgrenfell

5 Year Member
I worked at a wholesaler years ago. I did nothing but bag fish by hand for 12 hours a night. Ted is correct, that if you are to use 2 bags, the 2 mil is just fine. I also used to ship discus from my home, and if you have ever bagged adult discus, then you know what a task that is! For the purposes of dwarf cichlids, I don't see why thicker than 2 mil is necessary. But...it all depends on preferance, and also, what fish you are bagging and how far they will be travelling.

Rich

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….