• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

N. America RAOK: Free trio of juvenile Apisto luelingi cf 'Cristal'

Sumer

5 Year Member
I am lucky to be living in the city where Mike, the great Apistogramma expert lives. I didn't know that until one day our local Colorado Aquarium Society's meeting email popped up which said our guest speaker was going to be Mike Wise.
I went to Peru to collect some annual killifish last year and also caught some Apisto luelingi. For some reasons I could not bring the trio back. I took a chance and sent Mike a PM here asking if he has or can arrange some of Apisto luelingi for me. To my greatest amazement, he said well, I have some Apisto luelingi cf. 'Cristal'. I insisted him to bring me a trio to the meeting.
So, at the meeting, we met for the first time. We took a picture together, he gave me the fish and then I took out my wallet asking him how much I owed him. He looked at me and said "You got friendship?" I was surprised and it took me a moment or two to understand what he meant. I said a huge YES and we shook hands :)
It was February 6th, 2015 that day.
I decided that day that if this pair will take off and start making babies, I will pay it forward. So, they took off and I am ready to pay it forward now.
The male is a good 3.5-4" with turquoise blue sheen on the body with bright orange outline to the fins. The female is bright yellow with some lyretail like features. First batch is about 3-4 months old and at about 1"+ size. I started with BBS and now have successfully switched them over to frozen bloodworms, artemia, white-worms, grindal worms etc.
They are in a mix of 50-50 RO and normal tap water. The final parameters come at about 7 pH and 70-80 ppm TDS.
Not to mention that they are not a beginner's fish and have very little room for error. Once they get going, they reward you with huge egg clutches every 3 weeks or so.

So, to enter the RAOK, you will have to tell me a story of your friend or friendship. A photo would be the icing on the cake. Don't try to make up stuff, I can smell lies.
The winner will pay the shipping. I will ship USPS express so it would be around $30-$45. I will ship in insulated box using breather bag. I will try my best to make the sex ratio 1M2F but I cannot guarantee it.
I will pick up a winner on Sunday Oct 18th night. I can ship according to the winner's convenience. I will not be responsible for USPS mishaps or delays. No DOA guarantee.

There has to be at least 10 entries for me to be able to pick a winner. If not, we will extend the draw date.

I would again request: Only experienced Apisto keepers should enter.

Here are some photos of the parents and the juveniles:

Dad: He is very shy and it is almost impossible to take his pictures. I managed to take these few:
IMG_1692_xlarge.jpg

IMG_1697_xlarge.jpg

Mom: Very outgoing. She eats from my hand sometimes. She loves bloodworms (and sometimes her own eggs too LOL)
IMG_1371_xlarge.jpg

IMG_1366_xlarge.jpg

Here are the juvenile:
IMG_6397_xlarge.jpg

IMG_6404_xlarge.jpg

IMG_6402_xlarge.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Great fish. Great pictures. Great story!!! Mike is a wonderful guy and I wish I got to see him more then once every 2 or 3 years.

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
I am lucky to be living in the city where Mike, the great Apistogramma expert lives. I didn't know that until one day our local Colorado Aquarium Society's meeting email popped up which said our guest speaker was going to be Mike Wise.
I went to Peru to collect some annual killifish last year and also caught some Apisto luelingi. For some reasons I could not bring the trio back. I took a chance and sent Mike a PM here asking if he has or can arrange some of Apisto luelingi for me. To my greatest amazement, he said well, I have some Apisto luelingi cf. 'Cristal'. I insisted him to bring me a trio to the meeting.
So, at the meeting, we met for the first time. We took a picture together, he gave me the fish and then I took out my wallet asking him how much I owed him. He looked at me and said "You got friendship?" I was surprised and it took me a moment or two to understand what he meant. I said a huge YES and we shook hands :)
It was February 6th, 2015 that day.
I decided that day that if this pair will take off and start making babies, I will pay it forward. So, they took off and I am ready to pay it forward now.
The male is a good 3.5-4" with turquoise blue sheen on the body with bright orange outline to the fins. The female is bright yellow with some lyretail like features. First batch is about 3-4 months old and at about 1"+ size. I started with BBS and now have successfully switched them over to frozen bloodworms, artemia, white-worms, grindal worms etc.
They are in a mix of 50-50 RO and normal tap water. The final parameters come at about 7 pH and 70-80 ppm TDS.
Not to mention that they are not a beginner's fish and have very little room for error. Once they get going, they reward you with huge egg clutches every 3 weeks or so.

So, to enter the RAOK, you will have to tell me a story of your friend or friendship. A photo would be the icing on the cake. Don't try to make up stuff, I can smell lies.
The winner will pay the shipping. I will ship USPS express so it would be around $30-$45. I will ship in insulated box using breather bag. I will try my best to make the sex ratio 1M2F but I cannot guarantee it.
I will pick up a winner on Sunday Oct 18th night. I can ship according to the winner's convenience. I will not be responsible for USPS mishaps or delays. No DOA guarantee.

There has to be at least 10 entries for me to be able to pick a winner. If not, we will extend the draw date.

I would again request: Only experienced Apisto keepers should enter.

Here are some photos of the parents and the juveniles:

Dad: He is very shy and it is almost impossible to take his pictures. I managed to take these few:
IMG_1692_xlarge.jpg

IMG_1697_xlarge.jpg

Mom: Very outgoing. She eats from my hand sometimes. She loves bloodworms (and sometimes her own eggs too LOL)
IMG_1371_xlarge.jpg

IMG_1366_xlarge.jpg

Here are the juvenile:
IMG_6397_xlarge.jpg

IMG_6404_xlarge.jpg

IMG_6402_xlarge.jpg
Hello, I win this apistos on aquabid, please contact me, greetings

Pellegrino

That is an amazing story I'm sure you will remember that for the rest of your life and the lost so turned out to have gorgeous fish you're a very lucky person to have such a good clutch going

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….