• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing Rams

Glasgowa

5 Year Member
Hi

Looking for your keen eye and expertise here. I have had these Rams now for a week or so and am now trying to sex them and must admit I am having problems.

From these photo's (not great sorry) is anyone able to tell the sex. The one facing away in the first picture is on the second picture (I think).

Thanks

Andrew

Maleorfemale.jpg

Male.jpg

beleg

5 Year Member
Well the pictures are a bit dark to tell.. I am sure you know that females have reddish hue on their bellies (like kribs). If none of your fish show this , it might be likely that all your fish are males.

Glasgowa

5 Year Member
Beleg

Thanks, I'm not the best fish photographer!. Noticed today that one fish does have a pink stomach and have been trying to look at the other factors, rounded dorsel fin blue sparcles in the black spot for females etc but they seem to change daily.

Maybe I should leave them alone for a while and see if they are easier to sex then.

Cheers

Andrew

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For blue Rams the best way to sex them is by look at the dark flank spot. This blotch on males is vertically elongated and has metallic scales only around the edge. On females the blotch is more rounded and has metallic scales well within the blotch. Works every time with mature fish.

eranu

5 Year Member
That's interesting to know, I had it in my head that any blue sparkles on the black spot were females. Good tip.

Rey82

5 Year Member
I have figured out that the males have their dorsal fins larger than the females. Also the females slightly smaller than the males. I have a pair of regular german rams and a balloon variety where the males has a long dorsal fin which looks great when he trys to show off.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If the fish are all from the same spawn (same age) the height of the dorsal fin & body size generally holds true, but mature females can develop high dorsal fins, too.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….