• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sexing Juvenile A. Agassizii Tefe Pearl Blues

Aquatic_Adam

5 Year Member
Hello Apisto people!

My friend and I recently purchased 6 juvenile (smallest is ~3/4 inch while the largest is ~1.25 inch) Apistogramma Agassizii Tefe Pearl Blues off of AquaBid. The fish came in very healthy but impossible to sex. I know they are probably too young to sex at this point in their lives, but what are some tips I should be keeping an eye out for in the coming months?

They are with my friend currently (in Florida), if I can get some pictures from him I will post them ASAP.

Aquatic_Adam

5 Year Member
Some important details that my friend reminded me to put in here:

* He has determined that we have one for sure male
* One fish is showing no color and appears to be a subdominant male
* One fish has black all the way down the ventral fins and he believes it to be a female
* The remaining three have some black on the ventral fins, including the largest and most dominant fish in the tank
* The for sure male is geneally chsed away by all the others with the exception of the subdominant male

Apistofan_Tony

Hello all. Here are a few pictures - 5/6 fish are pictured. All but the most sub-dominant fish which I believe to be a male.

Picture #1: unknown sex.
Picture #2: 2 unknowns - the fish in the foreground has black all the way down the ventral fin leading my to believe it is a female.
Picture #3: dominant fish in the tank (unknown.)
Picture #4: blury picture, but of the fish I am 90% sure is a male.
Picture #5: another picture of the male.

Attachments

• WP_000303.jpg
    WP_000303.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 691
  • WP_000304.jpg
    WP_000304.jpg
    919.9 KB · Views: 680
  • WP_000312.jpg
    WP_000312.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 678
  • WP_000317.jpg
    WP_000317.jpg
    863.8 KB · Views: 637
  • WP_000318.jpg
    WP_000318.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 619

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are too young for a truly positive guess. The more yellow fish is most likely a female and the fish with some weak pattern around the edges of the caudal fin might be a male, but I have females that show this at times. I think a bit of patience is needed.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Male will develop a light/dark/light pattern around the edge of the caudal fin. It will also start to develop the spade/lance shape, too. You will probably see these features before any of the others develop.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….