• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Setting up a pelvicachromis taeniatus Tank

disruptfam

First post here :)

Looking to set up P.taeniatus Tank :) so far i have a 2ft x 15 x 18 tank 105L heater/filter etc

For substrate i'm looking for nice sand (does it have to be super fine sand) ?

I have some driftwood and nice piece of wood that has a cave like structure which i also will be using. I'm going to purchase rocks not sure which kind (not sure if it matters aslong as it doesn't effect the water?)

Will be getting a pair and hopefully try to get them breed ...

Firstly whats a good fish to keep them with that would be ok with my tank size? At first i was thinking some congo tetra but wasn't sure if 6 would be fine in my tank with the pair.

Secondly do i need any plants in the tank?

and last thing does anyone have tips on breeding?

Thanks in advance

cheers :)

Bunnie1978

What worked for me was just the pair alone in a 15g tall tank, with sand. I used black diamond blasting grit from tractor supply co. It was $8for 50lbs. Very light and fine, but looks great. I originally had a driftwood, one of those half coconut shell caves and some flexible vinyl tube caves, and plants. They didn't breed though, until I added a clay cave with a small openning. I also use very soft water and no filters, just an airstone.

23652_1430767854880_1403375997_31230964_933789_n.jpg

disruptfam

What worked for me was just the pair alone in a 15g tall tank, with sand. I used black diamond blasting grit from tractor supply co. It was $8for 50lbs. Very light and fine, but looks great. I originally had a driftwood, one of those half coconut shell caves and some flexible vinyl tube caves, and plants. They didn't breed though, until I added a clay cave with a small openning. I also use very soft water and no filters, just an airstone.

23652_1430767854880_1403375997_31230964_933789_n.jpg

is the best way to achieve soft water in your tank is to add rainwater? Whats the ratio on Rainwater to tapwater you would have?

Bunnie1978

is the best way to achieve soft water in your tank is to add rainwater? Whats the ratio on Rainwater to tapwater you would have?

Well, the best way is a reverse osmosis unit IMO. Rainwater is not totally pure, especially if you live in a high smog area. But if it's your only option, you just have to do what you can.

The ratio you'll have to figure out based on the hardness of your tap water.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Bunnie is right. If you do decide to use rainwater, don't collect it when it first starts raining. Wait about 15 minutes for the rain to flush pollutants out of the air and off the roof/surface from which you collect the water - if you can. If you live in a dry climate like mine, it rarely rains for more than 15-30 minutes at a time. After collecting the rainwater, it is a good idea to aerate the water and run it through a filter with activated carbon before using it in your tank.

disruptfam

it doesn't rain very often where i live but a friend of mine has 2 rain water tanks.

I was going to use that water would that be ok? should i test it ?

RO is an option but the spent most of my budget already...

I will test my tapwater.. the first kh/gh test kit i got did not work so ordered another. But i'm pretty sure Brisbane tap water is quite Hard.

If i was going to get a RO unit would i need a unit that would lower my TDS to 0 ? or ?

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi,

Always test your water before use. Also like Mike suggested, run a carbon filter and aerator through the water first to remove any impurities. cheers jk :cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….