• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

RO/DI System

MudFrog

5 Year Member
I am wondering if anyone could help me pick out a RO/DI system?

I get the gist of using one but haven't used one in the past so I physically have no experience handling one. I want to make sure what ever I am purchasing has all the required things....

these are on ebay:

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/Reef-RO-DI-Free...ryZ20756QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7720986295&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

I would be using this for weekly water changes. Possible filling new smaller tanks.

Any help would be appreciated. If you have anyother suggestion those would be welcome also. I want my new cichlids to have a good environment to live and breed in.

Lisa

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Go look at www.spectrapure.com. You will find a wealth of information. I suggest buying a system from them also. Spectrapure has been around for a LONG time, and they will be around when you need help.

farm41

5 Year Member
I'll second Ted's suggestion, good equipment at Spectrapure. I bought one of their filters from Ted a few years ago. It is still making clean and pure water without any problems, and still on the filters and membrane it came with.

JG

5 Year Member
tjudy said:
Go look at www.spectrapure.com. You will find a wealth of information. I suggest buying a system from them also. Spectrapure has been around for a LONG time, and they will be around when you need help.
Hi Ted,

Thanks for posting this website as I'm also looking to buying an R/O system in the near future. I've not used one of these "contraptions" before and don't know what I should be looking for. I'm currently in an apartment and will use the water for changes in a number of smaller tanks. Could you recommend a unit from their site? I'm also looking for something relatively easy to setup.

Thanks,

J

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The spectrapure systems are average in size. They can stand next to the sink if you need them to, but at a bit bulky to stay there forever. Buy as big as you need. I use about 200 gallons a week, so I have a 100 gpd RO/DI. If your water is naturally soft you probably do not need the DI (deionization resins). When I purchased my first unit (a 25 gpd unit), I based the decision upon needing about 30 gallons a week.

I set my system up to auto fill a 30 gallon barrel that is only for RO water. That barrel sits over a 150 gallon vat that I use to mix RO and tap. I used a T connector to run a tube from the RO water tube going to the RO barrel, and placed a valve on the end of it. I can manually open the valve and let the RO/DI machine fill the vat (it takes a day and a half to fill it completely, so I have no overflow fear starting one day and letting it go over night).

When I am going to do water changes, I start with the very soft water fish tanks. The water in the vat is never abosulute 0 mS like the barrel is, because I never empty the vat entirely. I test the conductivity in the vat. If it is too high, I siphon water from the barrel down to the vat, run a circulation pump for a while and test again. When I have the mix right (I am getting pretty good at it now), I refill the tanks that need the softest water. Now all I have to do is add tap and dechlorinator to bring the conductivity up to the next mS level I need. When the water changes are finished I turn on the RO/DI to refill the barrel and the vat. The next day I have soft water in the vat again to repeat the process if I need to. I currently have 22 aquariums in my fish room ranging from 15 to 40 gallons. I never change all of them in one session, so I never run out of water when I need it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….