• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

luisramos126

Hi all,

I don't know where you live, but I use Oak,(Quercus spp.), Magnolia grandiflora and Eriobotrya japonica as structural leaf litter.

Cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel,
Sadly, in Puerto Rico we don't have oaks.
I have used mango leaves, Guazuma ulmifolia seed pods, cacao leaves and seed pods, Indian almond leaves and seed pods Delonix regia leaves and seed pods, banana leaves and stem, bamboo leaves, coconut shells, Palm stems, and no developed coconut (see pictures on my last replay) and casuarina seed pods. All this it's what I can find in Puerto Rico.

From Florida I have used live oak branches, seed pods and leaves.
I want to try magnolia leaves and seed pods. I have never heard Eriobotrya japonica before.

I am always looking forward to trying new leaves or seed pods. The last one was Guazuma ulmifolia seed pods and works fine.

Best Luis,

MacZ

I don't know the bamboo species but I used before.
Ok, then it should be safe. If it was a species unknown and untested I'd stay clear but in this case it should be fine.

This one?
I know something else under the name coco palm flower. Obviously other things are sold as this here where I live.

Casuarina seed pods, mohogany seed pods, Indian almond seed pods, and cacao seed pods.
Alright. That's a yes, yes, yes and a no. Cacao contains some stuff that might be detrimental in a fish tank. Similar to the fact tea leaves are out due to the caffeine.

Any leaves or seed pods that you recommend?
Same as Darrell, not without knowing what grows in your region. I tend to collect almost everything myself locally in central europe.

MacZ

Hi Darrel,
Sadly, in Puerto Rico we don't have oaks.
I have used mango leaves, Guazuma ulmifolia seed pods, cacao leaves and seed pods, Indian almond leaves and seed pods Delonix regia leaves and seed pods, banana leaves and stem, bamboo leaves, coconut shells, Palm stems, and no developed coconut (see pictures on my last replay) and casuarina seed pods. All this it's what I can find in Puerto Rico.

From Florida I have used live oak branches, seed pods and leaves.
I want to try magnolia leaves and seed pods. I have never heard Eriobotrya japonica before.

I am always looking forward to trying new leaves or seed pods. The last one was Guazuma ulmifolia seed pods and works fine.

Best Luis,
Ok, simply put:
You can use any brown leaf. It has to have been shed from the tree, no green or yellow parts (like e.g. if on a branch fallen in a storm.). Stay clear of evergreens, they tend to be poisonous. Coniferous trees are out anyway, I doubt there are any in your area, but if there are any, they are not ok to use.

luisramos126

Alright. That's a yes, yes, yes and a no. Cacao contains some stuff that might be detrimental in a fish tank. Similar to the fact tea leaves are out due to the caffeine.

I have been used this pods before and no problem at all. Right now, I have it with my German blue rams.

Same as Darrell, not without knowing what grows in your region. I tend to collect almost everything myself locally in central europe.

I do the same, I collect everything that I know is fish safe. I read that all tree that you can eat their fruits are good to use their leaves.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I read that all tree that you can eat their fruits are good to use their leaves.
I'd be a little wary of Citrus fruit, Figs (Ficus spp.) and Mango (Mangifera indica). Blighia sapida (Ackee) and Cashew (Anacardium occidentale) I'd definitely avoid.

Guava (Psidium spp.) are definitely OK.

cheers Darrel

luisramos126

Only the small caps on top. The rest is the seed and will foul underwater. Provided you get them to sink.
Sorry I meant this species Melaleuca citrina seed pods.

1688861285954.png

luisramos126

Hi all,

I'd be a little wary of Citrus fruit, Figs (Ficus spp.) and Mango (Mangifera indica). Blighia sapida (Ackee) and Cashew (Anacardium occidentale) I'd definitely avoid.

Guava (Psidium spp.) are definitely OK.

cheers Darrel
Why mango? I had used before, but I don't like it because is too long.

Anyone know if Bucida buceras leaves are safe to use it? It's a common tree in Puerto Rico and produce a lot of leave litter.

MacZ

Sorry I meant this species Melaleuca citrina seed pods.
No idea, sorry.

Why mango?
Mango is known to have very aggressive alkaloids that don't decompose much in brown leaves or dried plant parts. You might really have been lucky it didn't cause any reactions in you or your fish.

Anyone know if Bucida buceras leaves are safe to use it?
At least I can't find anything about any toxicity in that tree.

luisramos126

No idea, sorry.
[/QUOTE ]

[QUOTE ]
Mango is known to have very aggressive alkaloids that don't decompose much in brown leaves or dried plant parts. You might really have been lucky it didn't cause any reactions in you or your fish.
[/QUOTE ]

Thanks for explaining, I will never use it again.

[QUOTE ]
At least I can't find anything about any toxicity in that tree.

Look what I found:
1- Medicinal
The bark is astringent.
A bark and leaf decoction is taken as a remedy for fever.
2-The bark, galls and leaves are a source of tannins. (Tropical Timbers of the World. Ag. Handbook No. 607.
Publication Author. Chudnoff. Martin. Publisher USDA Forest Service. Wisconsin.Year 1984
Description
Terse details on the properties of the wood of almost 400 species of trees from the Tropics.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….