• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rio Negro Biotope 90L Aquarium

luisramos126

I know of no reports of M. ramirezi being collected in the Negro, but only in the Orinoco Basin. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. C. melini is known to occur in both systems.
Thank you for clarify!
Did you know if the plant list are the same in both places?

MacZ

Did you know if the plant list are the same in both places?
Salvinia minima is known from Brasil, Colombia and Venezuela. But that alone doesn't say whether it occurs in both habitats. This is also the problem with Echinodorus grisebachii.
The only one I can tell for sure to be found in both habitats from footage from both river systems is Nymphaea sp..

Not fitting are:
Hemianthus micranthemoides does not occur naturally in South America. Limnophila aromatica is not from the Americas at all. Vallisneria americana are seemingly known from Venezuela and Colombia, but not from Brazil.
Cabomba caroliniana occurs originally far south of both habitats in southern Brasil, Argentina, Paraguay and far north in the US. It could stand in for species in the other habitats.

Looking at both habitats, I would say the habitat of Microgeophagus ramirezi has far more aquatic plant life, as it's a species from soft, but not that acidic habitats. They are a clearwater species, not a blackwater fish. The blackwater parts of the Rio Negro basin are mostly devoid of plants. Some pools that hold water in the dry season and sluggish side-arms have monospecies habitats with almost only Nymphaea and some floating plants or Cabomba dominated patches.

What you could do to focus on one habitat: Keep the Salvinia, Nymphaea and Cabomba and replace the cichlids with a species from the Rio Negro. Or replace the Corydoras with a species from the Orinoco basin , make the tank more open and well lit and sort out the non-south-american plants.

Going the Rio Negro route is less work in my opinion.

luisramos126

Thank you for your suggestions and answer my question!
For now, I just will refer my blackwater aquarium, and later do the changes to one of them (Orinoco or Negro)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….