• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Recommend me some good books please

Hanzo

5 Year Member
Hi!

Just starting with dwarf cichlids, mainl apistos. Just did a search over at amazon.com, but I failed to find any books that look promising. But I was hoping that people here could recommend me some books that would atleast cover the most basics behind keeping and bredding this wonderfull fishes.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Hanzo,

Romers Dwarf Cichlid Atlas is a good book for apistogrammas. It's about 90% to 95% apistos. Loads of info, though I've read he mis-identified a few species.

Michael

fishboy20

5 Year Member
Uwe Romer's book is the book to go with. Some things might be out-dated now but it is the most up-to-date, comprehensive book about Apistogramma. Hopefully the second addition comes out soon!

Hanzo

5 Year Member
Damn, can't find this book at Amazon.com or any of the norwegian stores... Does anybody know a good place to get it of the net?

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
book

Hello? Hellooooo this is dave--I have the book 45.00!, The second edition is done--I go over in Sept to proof read the English--Hello??????? Out dated--which part you refering to????? We just need to add new species!!!!!! nothing is outdated!!!!!!! Compared to like what Richters book? Mayland and Bork? Koslowski's book all ten years ago....Helloooo????? Mis-identified--what??? The market?????

Liquid

5 Year Member
Re: book

apistodave said:
Hello? Hellooooo this is dave--I have the book 45.00!, The second edition is done--I go over in Sept to proof read the English--Hello??????? Out dated--which part you refering to????? We just need to add new species!!!!!! nothing is outdated!!!!!!! Compared to like what Richters book? Mayland and Bork? Koslowski's book all ten years ago....Helloooo????? Mis-identified--what??? The market?????

Hi Dave,

It's sure is good news! looking forward to the Book! :mrgreen:

Ken

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hello Dave

Are you talking about a second volume? or, an updated edition? However its good news for me.
But what about the new book by Koslowski?? As I understand its a very nice book about apistos.

Best regards/ Per

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Koslowski's book is especially good for anyone looking for information on identification of all of the species known before 2002, when it was published. It lists almost 200 species/forms (not just color morphs!). They are all split up into logical species-groups/complexes. All fish belonging to one of the groupings are shown together. Compared to books who list the species in alphabetical order, Koslowski's book makes it much easier to compare similar looking species. You won't need to know the names of all of the similar species to find your fish in this book. So far I know of only 1 misidentified fish in the whole book (A. sp. Serpa = A. sp. Piexoto). In this respect, it is far superior to any other book presently out there. It also contains a lot of distribution & biotope data, most of it gotten directly from the collectors. Koslowski consulted with the best hobbyists & collectors in Europe, North & South America, Japan & Taiwan. I feel that it is a must for the serious apisto keeper.

Now for the book's faults. Yes, it has faults, but most are production problems, not in the text. Many of the pictures tend to be dark. Having seen many of the original photos, I can only say that the publisher did a very poor job of reproducing them. The book presently is published only in German. The publisher is hesitant to publish an English version right now. I have translated most of the book (about 50 pages to go). I'll have my rough draft at the ACA convention, so if you would like to see it just ask.

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hi Mike.

I will certainly buy a copy of Koslowskis book! I have a copy of his old book "Die buntbarsche der neuen welt" and that was really good. But today it´s of course out of date. (1985 edition)

Is it possible to buy a copy of your translation of his new book? Tell me the price of it, and I will send you the money :wink:
My German is poor, so an english translation would be great!

Best regards/ Per

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I will let people know if and when Koslowski's book translation will be available. Right now Koslowski & his publisher have first rights to it if they publish the book in English. I assume that I will be selling the translation myself, however.

Regarding Koslowski's original 1985 book, I am really pleasantly surprised at how accurate it still is after all of these years. Very few of the fish discussed are misidentified. It just shows how careful Koslowski is with his identifications. Names have changed (common to scientific) but the IDs are almost always still accurate. I have an English translation of this book, too, by the way.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
It is a second edition --all new fish and some new studies. The third edition is about half done and Uwe and I are working on a Baensch project now that (Oh my God!) has nothing to do with apistos but is really exciting! I just got my tickets to go over in Sept--if anyone has some wants :lol: let me know cause I am bringing some great fish back! about 6 undescribed sp, and finally some good numbers of some hard to get fish with guarentees on the sexes. Diplos, elizabethae, mendezi, wilhelmi and some of these little guys!!!!! http://www.rva.ne.jp/gallery/ap_nwe_pulchra.html

Sime

5 Year Member
Hey People,

That Pulchra is definatly is a very nice fish, they went a bit overboard with with the lipstick though :lol:

I have a couple of aqualog books - South American Dwarf Cichlids (Bork, Mayland) and South American Cichlids II (Glaser) . How do these compare to the Cichlid Atlas that everyone seems to be raving about.

Cheers
Simon

Neil

Sime,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I have a couple of aqualog books - South American Dwarf Cichlids (Bork, Mayland) and South American Cichlids II (Glaser) . How do these compare to the Cichlid Atlas that everyone seems to be raving about.

Both are good books and have their respective pluses and minus. The Atlas, however, is a much more comprehensive study. Many more species and quite a bit more information that is more up-to-date and (for the most part) accurate.

Neil

mervin

5 Year Member
Mike Wise said:
. The publisher is hesitant to publish an English version right now. .

Hi Mike !!!

Why is it so that they are hesitant to publish it in English ???
Believe there is a huge market for the English version, no ????

Please forgive me for my ignorance.

cheers,
Mervin

mervin

5 Year Member
P.W. said:
But what about the new book by Koslowski?? As I understand its a very nice book about apistos.

Best regards/ Per

Hello Per,

Are u refering to 'Die Buntbarsche Ameriks' ????

regards,
Mervin

ancientaquarist

5 Year Member
Apisto. Dave-I'd love some pairs, especially westies!!!

I hadn't heard of Koslowski's book and I read and speak German fluently.
Hopefully I can get the earlier book in German-Mike Schaedle is sending me the new one on Westies soon as it emerges from its English chrysalis-along with several Aqualogs I don't have.

The latter seem very overpriced-does anyone know what the Aqualog catalogues cost in Deutschland? I'll be there for a fortnight at the end of October. I shall ship them home as my handicap doesn't permit me to hand carry much but if there's a substlantial savings I'd be glad to get them for whomever wants them.

As someone easily as new to this stuff I've enjoyed most of the books and
don't know what's correctly identified or not. Sometimes ignorance is bliss!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….