• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Random Apisto

TerraFerma

Ordered four A. elizabethae several months ago. Out of that I appear to have a pair and a spare male. But I also have this fourth fellow - it appears to be a female of another species.

Any idea what the forth one might be? The elizabethae aren't particularly fond of him/her, and vice versa.

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 155
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 153
  • A3.jpg
    A3.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 158

MacZ

Reminds me of those, but would be quite a coincidence. On the other hand... same riversystem, so it could be possible as a bycatch.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Ordered four A. elizabethae several months ago. Out of that I appear to have a pair and a spare male. But I also have this fourth fellow - it appears to be a female of another species.

Any idea what the forth one might be? The elizabethae aren't particularly fond of him/her, and vice versa.
A1 & A2 shows a brevis-group species. Given the shape of dorsal fin and caudal spot and the fact that they came with (or as?) A. elizabethae, it's likely A. brevis. A3 is a young male of an agassizii-group species. Which one I can't tell for sure, but one possibility would be A. gephyra.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
... looking at A3 again, I now have doubts about it being an agassizii-group species - it could likely be A. elizabethae too.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with Frank. The 1st 2 photos show a male brevis-group species, but I'm not certain that it is A. brevis, which should show a dark anal spot. It could be a young A. personata? Time will tell if the dorsal fin develops. The 3rd looks like a young male A. elizabethae to me, too.

TerraFerma

Thank you guys. Seems I got one elizabethae and three mystery apistos...

Will check back in once they have grown out a bit.

anewbie

Wild fishes are like a box of chocolate; you sort of know what you will get but you never know for sure until they grow up (or in the case of chocolate until you take a bite; but hopefully not many of us bite our fishes).

MacZ

Wild fishes are like a box of chocolate; you sort of know what you will get but you never know for sure until they grow up (or in the case of chocolate until you take a bite; but hopefully not many of us bite our fishes).
Great, now I imagine canned dwarf cichlids. o_O

MacZ

Kind of wish they came in a can so I could stick them back in. They aren't turning out to be quite as exciting as the thing I thought I purchased
Dwarf cichlids are not for everyone. But now you have them and you haven't got the most common ones either. Get into researching them, work on the tank making it a closer match to the habitat and so on. I am sure that route will make it more interesting.

TerraFerma

Dwarf cichlids are not for everyone. But now you have them and you haven't got the most common ones either. Get into researching them, work on the tank making it a closer match to the habitat and so on. I am sure that route will make it more interesting.
Thank you for the encouraging words.

After poking around for brevis group species - this is the closest looking thing I've found:

Attachments

• A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 104

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
After poking around for brevis group species - this is the closest looking thing I've found:

A. sp. Breibinden is the former common name of A. piaroa (A164). There are several piaroa-like species and forms and all of them look similar to A. brevis. The main differences are the shape of the dorsal fin and the caudal spot. A. brevis has a low dorsal fin which in large males might be serrated (pointed) in the anterior membranes, whereas in the piaroa-like forms at least the anterior (if not all) membranes of the dorsal are strongly elongated. The caudal spot in A. brevis is usually separated from the lateral band by a smaller or larger gap, whereas in the piaroa-like forms it might be narrower at that position but is still continuous.

Your fish is for sure either A. brevis or one of the piaroa-like forms. But from the photos you have posted so far it's not possible to tell for sure. Please make photos of all your specimens so that the fully spread dorsal fin of the males can be seen clearly and the lateral band and caudal spot of males and females are shown very distinctly. Please also tell us the size of the specimens.

Since your fish came as A. elizabethae and thus are from the Rio Negro, the only possibilities among the piaroa-like forms are A. cf. piaroa (A165), A. sp. D45 and A. sp. D41 (where the latter two might in the end turn out to be the same species as the former). These three have a distinct feature in common that distinguishes them from the piaroa-like forms of the Orinoco: particularly the males often show a large black blotch on the caudal peduncle, as can be seen here:

18451543_772869019536442_4706833407747994899_o.jpg

So if your fish will never show such a blotch, they are either A. brevis, not from the Rio Negro or a so far unknown species.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
There's a small gap between caudal spot and lateral band which points towards A. brevis. The complete dorsal fin is low but it's anterior serration is very strong for a typical male of this species (though it might in part be due to a damage of the membranes). Please show photos of all your specimens (e.g. the smaller one in the foreground).

TerraFerma

Thanks Frank.

The first pic is what I thought might have a chance of being a female. Round in shape and the big male and him/her like to hang out.

Second pic is what I'm pretty sure is a subadult male. Neither of the other two like him.

Third pic is of the "female" flared.

It's amazing how the "female" and subadult male can flash on and off the black lateral line and just show the two spots - I assume this is when they have conflict with the others.

Attachments

• A9.jpg
    A9.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 81
  • A8.jpg
    A8.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 75
  • A7.jpg
    A7.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 75

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Yes A7, A9, A10 is a female. About A8 I'm not sure.

As for the ID: we are looking for differences in the area between caudal spot and lateral band as subtle as these:

piaroa vs brevis.jpg

So far none of the photos makes me 100% sure about this. However, imo A4, A5 and A9 point towards A. brevis. So either show us more conclusive photos of lateral bands/caudal spots or let's wait how the dorsal fin of the male(s) develop. What size is the large male?

Btw. A. brevis is a rather rare species in the hobby! So if yours are in fact A. brevis it would be worthwhile to breed and spread them (though probably not from a monetary point of view).

Last edited:

TerraFerma

The male, nose to tip of tail extensions, is about 4cm.

His caudal spot situation:

Attachments

• A11.jpg
    A11.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 65
  • A12.jpg
    A12.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 69

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Thanks! I'm quite certain that it's A. brevis. But if I'm wrong and it's some piaroa-like species, my mistake will become obvious quite soon by a significant change in the shape of the dorsal fin ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….