• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Rams and cacautoides or just rams

Villo

5 Year Member
I have a 175 gallon tank with 6 Angel fish and none cichlids fish I was thinking in adding:

4 pairs of rams. or 2 pairs of rams, a male cacauotides and 3 females

I like both types of chichlids, but maybe is more interesting to see 8 Rams in a tank to see how they interact.

What do you think?

fishboy20

5 Year Member
In that size of a tank, you certainly have enough room for both species. It would be very interesting to see a larger group of one of the two fish you mentioned. Maybe try it for a few years with the Rams then switch to another species. I am sure you will find that the Ram males form a harem each their own. One of which should more dominate then the other. Let us know what you decide and what interactions you come across.
A similar experiment was done on a much larger scale with Pelvicachromis pulcher. 1500 gallon ponds were used with Alestes Tetras and Hemichromis species as predators. You might notice some of those same interactions in your tank.

farm41

5 Year Member
I tend to agree, I would try both, I really like the 8 rams. I just love the rams. Their attitude and their looks are fantastic.

Villo

5 Year Member
fishboy20 said:
A similar experiment was done on a much larger scale with Pelvicachromis pulcher. 1500 gallon ponds were used with Alestes Tetras and Hemichromis species as predators. You might notice some of those same interactions in your tank.

Thanks both for your answers, do you have a link of that experiment, It sound interesting.

Randall

5 Year Member
Breeding Strategies

Dear Villo,

Fishboy is probably referring to an article written by Dr. Wayne Leibel, Lafayette College, in his "Cichlidophiles" column published by "Tropical Fish Hobbyist" Magazine (April 2004). The study discussed involves males' mating tactics in Pelvicachromis pulcher. I don't think the paper is available online, but should you want to obtain it, please note the following reference:

Martin, E. & Taborsky, M. 1997. Alternative male mating tactics in a cichlid, Pelvicachromis pulcher: a comparison of reproductive effort and success. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol., 41: 311-319.

At the time the paper was published, both authors were with the Konrad Lorenz Institut fur Vergleichende Verhaltensforschung in Vienna.

Among other things, the study confirms that Pelvicachromis pulcher is an "advanced" harem spawner, in the wild, that utilizes both polygamous and monogamous reproductive strategies. As far as I know, however, Microgeophagus ramirezi is a monogamous, pair-bonding open substrate spawner.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Villo

5 Year Member
Breeding Strategies

Randall said:
Dear Villo,

Fishboy is probably referring to an article written by Dr. Wayne Leibel, Lafayette College, in his "Cichlidophiles" column published by "Tropical Fish Hobbyist" Magazine (April 2004). The study discussed involves males' mating tactics in Pelvicachromis pulcher. I don't think the paper is available online, but should you want to obtain it, please note the following reference:

Martin, E. & Taborsky, M. 1997. Alternative male mating tactics in a cichlid, Pelvicachromis pulcher: a comparison of reproductive effort and success. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol., 41: 311-319.

At the time the paper was published, both authors were with the Konrad Lorenz Institut fur Vergleichende Verhaltensforschung in Vienna.

Among other things, the study confirms that Pelvicachromis pulcher is an "advanced" harem spawner, in the wild, that utilizes both polygamous and monogamous reproductive strategies. As far as I know, however, Microgeophagus ramirezi is a monogamous, pair-bonding open substrate spawner.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

Thanks for the Info I'll do some research to try and find it.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….