• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question regarding fry, and removal from tank

I have a pair of double reds that consistently spawn, yet out of the 4 spawns they have had only two fry have survived. I'm curious how people remove their new fry from tanks? I'd like to try and raise these ones up as it's a pretty big brood this time. Any suggestions?

danbb

I have removed the fry after 6-7 days, because my tank if full of wood and I find out that is almost impossible to catch them after a week. I aspire them with a hose.

Ok. I'll give it a shot. This pair start out as great parents then idk what happens. I moved them to this bigger tank with only 6 rummynose tetras in it and a couple of ottos. Before they had no fish in with them. So maybe this time will be different. But I'm tired of them producing everything being good for a couple weeks and then bam no fry. Just to start the process again

regani

5 Year Member
I do the same, siphon them out with a hose. I usually do it after 10-14 days. After that the fry start to scatter more, which makes it more difficult to get them all and leaving it past the 3 week mark usually means they are strong enough to swim away against the current of the siphon unless you can get very close quickly.

Ok. Thanks for the information. I'm gonna give it a whirl. I'd like to raise them up on my own to try and have more successful batches. Like I said I got a male and a female only survivors out of 4-5 batches over the last 3 months

Maybe this time I'll have better luck as they have target fish in the tank and a bit more space. They charge the rummynose time and time again. But they are to quick

regani

5 Year Member
Rummynose may not be the best choice as target fish, I think, they tend to eat the fry
Better choices are pencil fish where you don't have the problem.
With the rummy nose in there it might be best to remove the fry earlier rather than later to get a larger number

Good to know, ill have to get them out this weekend then. I have to move a brood of krib fry from a 2.5 to a 10 gallon anyways, so ill use the 2.5 to house the newly hatched fry.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilyiahib

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….