• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

6 week old cacatuoides fry, still with mother.

Phil AquariumDays

Hey everyone.
My cacatuoides fry are now 6weeks old.
Been free swimming without the mother for a few days now. The mother did seem to check in on them from time to time. But today I've noticed her seem to chase a fry away a couple of times .. does this mean it's time to remove the mother to my spare tank back with the male. Or would it be best to try and remove the fry. Or is this completely normal behaviour and am I safe leaving the fry and mother together?
It's a well established 40gallon heavily planted and full of hiding places, leaves caves etc. The fry have survived with the Cory's, rasboras and even a couple of five Banded barbs I couldn't catch early on.
I don't think she is going to eat them, they are nearly 1cm already.
This wasn't an attempt to breed for profit or anything, and only 5-8 fry left from the batch.
IMG_20230527_182307.jpg
IMG_20230527_18235495.jpeg

Any advice appreciated.
IMG_20230527_182339.jpg
IMG_20230527_182146.jpg
IMG_20230527_182840.jpg
Screenshot_2023-05-27-18-27-51-36_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

Levin Tilghman

5 Year Member
Hey everyone.
My cacatuoides fry are now 6weeks old.
Been free swimming without the mother for a few days now. The mother did seem to check in on them from time to time. But today I've noticed her seem to chase a fry away a couple of times .. does this mean it's time to remove the mother to my spare tank back with the male. Or would it be best to try and remove the fry. Or is this completely normal behaviour and am I safe leaving the fry and mother together?
It's a well established 40gallon heavily planted and full of hiding places, leaves caves etc. The fry have survived with the Cory's, rasboras and even a couple of five Banded barbs I couldn't catch early on.
I don't think she is going to eat them, they are nearly 1cm already.
This wasn't an attempt to breed for profit or anything, and only 5-8 fry left from the batch. View attachment 12899View attachment 12894
Any advice appreciated. View attachment 12895View attachment 12896View attachment 12897View attachment 12898
I would remove the female and allow the remaining fry to mature in the main tank.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….