• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about leaves

fairone2

Hello ~
I am wanting to add some leaves to my tank and I was wondering if I could use some from a tree in my backyard? It's an Indian Laurel tree. There are no oak trees in my area (I live in Arizona desert!).
Thank-you!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Hello ~ I am wanting to add some leaves to my tank and I was wondering if I could use some from a tree in my backyard? It's an Indian Laurel tree. There are no oak trees in my area (I live in Arizona desert!). Thank-you!
If your Indian Laurel is <"Ficus microcarpa">? It probably isn't suitable, because most <"figs have poisonous latex in their leaves">.

If you can't find any Oak leaves, there are leaves for sale, these include Indian Almond (Terminalia catappa) and evergreen Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora).

Have a look at the <"Tannin Aquatics"> web site.

cheers Darrel

fairone2

Hello ~
I am wanting to add some leaves to my tank and I was wondering if I could use some from a tree in my backyard? It's an Indian Laurel tree. There are no oak trees in my area (I live in Arizona desert!).
Thank-you!
**Correction!!** I'm sorry but I got the tree wrong! It's actually an Indian rosewood tree!

fairone2

Hi all, If it is <"Dalbergia sissoo/latifolia"> it maybe OK, possibly no-one has ever tried them.

The wood is resistant to insect attack.

cheers Darrel

I went ahead and put some in yesterday and everything's been fine! I did some reading about this tree and found out that the bark has been used for it's tannins but it didn't say what they were used for. But anyway, it worked out alright! Thanks for responding!

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
I went ahead and put some in yesterday and everything's been fine! I did some reading about this tree and found out that the bark has been used for it's tannins but it didn't say what they were used for. But anyway, it worked out alright! Thanks for responding!

Be careful, as these kinds of things don't cause massive effects overnight. Watch the fish closely and monitor them for any signs of stress, fatigue, etc. Listlessness is one common symptom - one article reported that after removing the harmful leaves, the fish swam with much more energy and purpose, ate more, etc.

Basically, be cautious and don't expect them to be fine just because it worked over one night. Hopefully it works in the long run!

fairone2

Be careful, as these kinds of things don't cause massive effects overnight. Watch the fish closely and monitor them for any signs of stress, fatigue, etc. Listlessness is one common symptom - one article reported that after removing the harmful leaves, the fish swam with much more energy and purpose, ate more, etc.

Basically, be cautious and don't expect them to be fine just because it worked over one night. Hopefully it works in the long run!

I'm getting ready to do a water change, so i'll just take them out then.

boofeng

Hi all, If your Indian Laurel is <"Ficus microcarpa">? It probably isn't suitable, because most <"figs have poisonous latex in their leaves">.

If you can't find any Oak leaves, there are leaves for sale, these include Indian Almond (Terminalia catappa) and evergreen Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora).

Have a look at the <"Tannin Aquatics"> web site.

cheers Darrel
Hi Darrel

I've used leaves from this locally popular ornamental tree Ficus lyrata (fiddle leaf fig) in my tanks for a while with no issue. I do soak the leaves in boiling water a few times before use though. I like them because they decay very slowly - I just noticed that the fallen leaves around these trees stayed intact for huge amounts of time and thought of trying it.

I was cautious at first, but my juvenile bitaeniata grew up fine with these leaves so I'm using them in more tanks now.

@fairone2 - maybe you can find this plant at a local garden centre? They seem to be popular plants (I see them on the internet and in books and magazines) and might be available in your area too.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Hi Darrel

I've used leaves from this locally popular ornamental tree Ficus lyrata (fiddle leaf fig) in my tanks for a while with no issue. I do soak the leaves in boiling water a few times before use though. I like them because they decay very slowly - I just noticed that the fallen leaves around these trees stayed intact for huge amounts of time and thought of trying it.

I was cautious at first, but my juvenile bitaeniata grew up fine with these leaves so I'm using them in more tanks now.
Useful to know. I know they produce very persistent leaf litter. I'd assumed that once the latex has gone from the leaf they were safe, but I've never tried them.

My suspicion would be that a reasonable amount of the leaf litter in tropical water courses comes from Figs (Ficus spp.) and similar trees.

It has nothing to do with either leaf litter or fish, but <"Mike Shanahan's"> book <"Ladders to heaven......"> (titled "Gods, Wasps and Stranglers" in the USA) is a good read.

cheers Darrel

fairone2

Hi Darrel

@fairone2 - maybe you can find this plant at a local garden centre? They seem to be popular plants (I see them on the internet and in books and magazines) and might be available in your area too.

Thank-you Darrel!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….