• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about difference between Apistogramma sp.Breitbinden and Apistogramma Megaptera

Champ_17

5 Year Member
Again, that i confuse about 2 species although I used to keep both 2 year ago.
but last week, suppler who import wild pleco said that he got 4 male unknow apistogramma 4 pcs, So i went to the farm and
got these 2 male. One is look like sp.Breitbinden or Piaroa and another is look like Megaptera.
pls help me to indentify.
IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

Champ_17

5 Year Member
Again, that i confuse about 2 species although I used to keep both 2 year ago.
but last week, suppler who import wild pleco said that he got 4 male unknow apistogramma 4 pcs, So i went to the farm and
got these 2 male. One is look like sp.Breitbinden or Piaroa and another is look like Megaptera.
pls help me to indentify.
1.View attachment 5816
2.View attachment 5817
Thank you,Mike, Are 2 species live in the same place?
Is it possible to found hybrid in the nature?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
According to Massa & Lasso 2014, the species come from nearby, but different locations. Here is an overlay of the 2 distribution maps from their paper:

upload_2016-3-27_14-30-35.png

green = A. megaptera; red = A. piaroa.

Is it possible to hybridize the 2 species? Probably, yes because they are closely related members of the brevis-group. No one has reported wild crosses that I know about.

Champ_17

5 Year Member
According to Massa & Lasso 2014, the species come from nearby, but different locations. Here is an overlay of the 2 distribution maps from their paper:

View attachment 5820
green = A. megaptera; red = A. piaroa.

Is it possible to hybridize the 2 species? Probably, yes because they are closely related members of the brevis-group. No one has reported wild crosses that I know about.
Thank you Mike, recently i notice that there is Apistogramma sp.Breitbinden was sell in the name Megaptera and some has red Operculum which sell in higher price.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The shape of the males' dorsal fins is the easiest way to separate A. megaptera from A. piaroa. Both species have some males that show red on the face. It's no different than what occurs in A. borellii. The color is unimportant for species identification, but can be for selling price!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….