• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi

Left C

5 Year Member
I just got a threesome of Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi. I have one male and two females. They're small (up to 3½" for the males and ~1" shorter for the females) west African dwarf cichlids that are a mouth brooder. The males are very colorful but they can be...uh....well, like a cichlid. They're the boss. They like planted tanks. So far, these are a very fascinating dwarf cichlid for me. Have you guys had any experience with them?

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/cichl..._nicholsi.html
http://www.gcca.net/fom/Pseudocrenilabrus_nicholsi.htm
http://www.african-cichlid.com/nicholsi.htm

A funny classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueBF1emO5pc

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have a pair in a 20g. I also have some young growing up. The male is pretty hard on the lone female. He's forever out displaying. I just wish I could take a pic that does him justice.

retro_gk

5 Year Member
I've found both P. multicolor and P. nicholsi to be rather hard on each other, although they are wimps when it comes to other fish. Make sure the females have room to get away from the male if required.

I never got my nicholsi to spawn but the multicolor more than made up for it with HUGE broods (60-80 fry per mouthful).

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are fairly prolific as well, but seem to need some pretty small food when they are young.

Left C

5 Year Member
The threesome of Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi are in a heavily planted tank with a pH of 6.4. One of the females has been holding a mouthful of eggs for a little over a week now and the other younger female just started carrying eggs.

The information that I have found about them is a little variable about how long that it takes for the eggs to hatch and the parental care they provide.

This is what I've found out. It takes about 10 days for the eggs to hatch and when they do, the mother watches over them. If the fry become scared, they rush back into the mother's mouth and are packed in there like a can of sardines. I haven't found out the male's role in rearing the young.

Am I basically correct and does anyone have any added information?

Thanks!

Left C

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Once the females are holding eggs, the male has no other function - other than harassing the females until they sometimes lose the eggs. I'd suggest that you remove the male, unless they are in a very large aquarium with many hiding places.

Left C

5 Year Member
Once the females are holding eggs, the male has no other function - other than harassing the females until they sometimes lose the eggs. I'd suggest that you remove the male, unless they are in a very large aquarium with many hiding places.
Thanks Mike

The tank is very heavily planted with many hiding places. The male is not harassing the females like he was earlier. He looks at them but he rarely chases them now. The females have found some very good hiding places that he is just a little bit too big to fit into. If things get worse, I'll move him as you suggested.

Again, thanks Mike.

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
I've pretty similar experiences to others. I prefer to keep mine in a harem set up just to keep the females from getting harassed. I have two males in seperate tanks with about 8-10 females to keep them busy. In this situation I rarely notice any aggression issues and there are often multiple females holding. I usually seperate the holding females after about a week so they can let the fry out in peace. From there I put the female back. They don't seem to be too picky about water params and I've had them spawn in a pH from 6.5/7 to 8.2. I have to say that when it comes to just plain gaudy, blaring beauty they are one of the tops in my opinion. It is hard to get a picture to do them justice, but I've always been captivated by them.

eranu

5 Year Member
I have two multicolor males, I think. I had them both together but the larger fish harrased the smaller one until I had to separate. On reintroduction they almost immediately began the same behaviour, which I thought was courtship but possibly male-male display. They go to the bottom and spin together slowly, picking at each others sides. Could they be juvenile male and female or does this sound like male display?

Every shop I go in and ask for females thay all say 'we haven't seen any of these for years'.

I have a photo of the larger fish:
Psuedocrenilabrus_multicolor_01.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Haplochromine males, like your Pseudocrenilabrus are exceptionally hard on females if there is only one. It is best to have 3 - 5 females per male - spread the abuse.

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have some young nicholsi for grabs (possibly - remember I am in Canada!). I suspect most are males though.

Gillie

5 Year Member
I tell ya you would better off getting them from someone here they go quick. I just sold 40 juvies to a friend of mine to sell at his store and they were gone in less than a week. Now he is waiting quite impatiently for more.:biggrin:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….