• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

plant filtration in a sump

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
Hello, I am planning on plumbing about six of of my tanks together and possibly using plants in the sump to reduce the amount of nitrogenous waste. I plan on using a 20 gallon tank for the sump with up to 80 watts of light. Will most plants do alright with very soft water (TDS<60) and a low pH of about 6.0? If not, what plants are recomended? Also, should I use floating plants or stem plants or both? I will also use CO2 if i need it since it will also help lower my pH. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.
Trevor

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Strange as this may sound, but I would use Pothos (common phylodendron) draped over the edge. Just let their roots trail in the water. Pretty soon the 20 will be choked with roots and they take up nitrates quickly. 80W will be more than enough light.

fishgeek

have a look under a search of reed bed technology/filtration

it is one of the 'enviromental' water treatment theories about
it may give you some further idea's

i considerd this type of thing with a trickle tower of moss and then a sump full of terrestrial plants or hydropnic type trays with roots just in them
i think terrestrial plants may be easier maintainence than aquatic in a filtration setup

andrew

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
Mike and Andrew, thanks for the ideas. I really like the idea of using terrestrial plants. As for the pothos, I read that it is slightly toxic. Once i put a stem of pothos in a tank with a female cacatuoides and she lost color and laid on the bottom. I am not sure if it was from something in the plant or something on it since it was recently purchased but I did rinse it. Is this just a strange experience or do lots of people use pothos successfully?
Trevor

fishgeek

as an ignorant generalistaion , most toxins in plants are defence mechanisms and are hence stored in the leaves and to a lesser stems , if , as mike suggests you just put the root system in the tank that shouldn't be a problem

andrew

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….