• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Wouri"

aquachromis

5 Year Member
Hi all,
This is my first post to the forum. I have some questions about Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Wouri". I picked up a pair this past week but haven't been able to find too much info on them. Right now they are pretty small, only around 1.5 inches long. Can someone share with me what are the preferred water parameters for this fish? I'm also looking for any general info on them as well. The only other Pelvicachromis I've ever kept was P. pulcher a few years ago. Right now I have them in a 20 gallon long. Will this be large enough to keep them in as adults or will I need to move them up to a larger tank?

I have a 58 gallon tank that's 18deepX36longX21high that I'd like to eventually set up as a west african community tank. Would this be large enough to keep the Wouri and another pair of dwarfs in? If so, what would be another compatible dwarf pair?

Thanks,
Adam

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Wouri i sone of the more tempermental taeniatus, in my experience; however, I think that the increase in aquarium bred specamins has made them hardier.

They like soft acid water. Mine are not in the least bit shy, so their tank is actually sparsly decorated. I have all females thoug, so I cannot comment on breeding. I imagine they are like most taeniatus... they should have acave with gravel they can excavate.

Randall

5 Year Member
Hello Adam,

Welcome!

Pelvicachromis taeniatus "Wouri" is an attractively colored dwarf cichlid, especially the female. The fish is associated with aquatic plants and is found in soft, acidic water (pH 6's) with low conductivity. Males grow to about 3.5" and females are smaller.

You should be able to house them in a 20-long, even as adults, with no problems. Some dither fish (small tetras, Nannostomus spp., etc.) are probably a good idea. This species is a cave spawner and breeds in typical Pelvicachromis fashion.

Given its milder temperment, it is a good candidate for your 58-gallon western African community tank as well. You could house another pair of a Pelvicachromis species plus yet another pair of something else (i.e., smaller Chomidotilapia spp., smaller Benitochromis spp., etc.).

A word of caution, please: this species is sensitive to water quality, so weekly partial water changes are a must.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

aquachromis

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info. For now, this pair will stay in the 20L for a few months. I may be moving toward the end of July and want to wait until after the move to set up the 58. When I do get it set up though, I'll post my ideas regarding tank mates for everyone's thoughts.

-Adam

Neil

aquachromis,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Probably my favorite taeniatus! They are a bit touchy, but with regular maint., there should be no problem with a 20L. I have typically bred this fish in softer and more acidic water than has been previously mentioned. My first wild pair was bred in <5ph and pure RO. The gender ratio of the fry were 35% males and 65% females from this spawn. Subsequent spawnings have been in slightly less extreme water, but still soft and acidic. It is the most soft water-loving taeniatus of the lot. Good luck with them!

Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nanotankfun

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(