• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pellet food headach

Hmoobthor

So i recently bought the new Cichlid Gold Sinking pellet made by Hikari (love the brand) in a mini size thinking that it should be the right size for my small cichlids.

But I try it last night, only my big male cac fit it inside it's mouth and try to crush it. my keyhole is able to get them pretty much.

some of the pellet fell to the cory to nip on them but i would like them to eat it easily and try to email Hikari about future baby size b/c i really like the sinking type.

I was told to buy the regular cichlid bio gold floating type in baby size b/c that is all they have and they are not planning to make baby size for my sinking pellet.

What a let down! they say not enought demand for it..WTH!!? They got medium and mini size but no baby? it piss me off....this pellet are really good.. my dwarf cichlid are bottom dwellet but always come to the top when i feed them frozen or pellet....

Now...should i try to crush it? don't want to make a mess or cloud my tank or should i consider getting the floating type?? if i go with floating then my coryies won't have any chance at the good stuff..

I use NLS cichlid pellet for more than 5 month and don't really see color improvement..also its small that most of all my fish are able to swallow it whole.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
How small a pellet are you looking for? Xtreme Pee Wee is a great sinking mini-pellet (1.5mm) that all the fish I feed it to love.

briztoon

5 Year Member
G'day Hmoobthor,

I feed Cichlid Gold Sinking pellet and Cichlid Bio-Gold made by Hikari to my apistos and westies. I have the two pellets in a pepper grinder and feed it this way. It is ground up fine enough for even 2cm juveniles to eat.

Hmoobthor

How small a pellet are you looking for? Xtreme Pee Wee is a great sinking mini-pellet (1.5mm) that all the fish I feed it to love.
Sorry 1.5mm is too big. The New life spectrum cichlid pellet that i have are only 1mm which is perfect size for all my fish. I just want to varies their diet a bit more b/c ur only suppose to feed New life spectrum exclusively which i did for many month and see just a bit of improvement but nothing really big.

I feed Cichlid Gold Sinking pellet and Cichlid Bio-Gold made by Hikari to my apistos and westies. I have the two pellets in a pepper grinder and feed it this way. It is ground up fine enough for even 2cm juveniles to eat.

Hmmm...i will try to find a grinder but i don't want it too fine..just that it break it apart about 1mm.

Hmoobthor

G'day Hmoobthor,

ok so i went out and bought a spice grinder and was able to take the spice out and put in the pellet. grinding it up just make a mess..and i mean tiny tiny pieces of dust like and a few bit size plus it doesn't sink.

I might just crush it by hand and go out and buy the regular cichlid gold floating type in baby size...cause my apisto do go up ..and switch between both.

flashbang

Hi, I use Hikari gold and Staple floating pellet (mini and baby size) food for all my Fishes. I just soak a few pellets in water in a shot glass for ten mins , they become soft and i then squeeze them a bit and they sink.
All the fish eat them easily,even small 1cm apistos and rams tear a bit off the pellets on the way down to the bottom. Cories and Bristlenose get straight on the pellets also.

Hmoobthor

Hi, I use Hikari gold and Staple floating pellet (mini and baby size) food for all my Fishes. I just soak a few pellets in water in a shot glass for ten mins , they become soft and i then squeeze them a bit and they sink.
All the fish eat them easily,even small 1cm apistos and rams tear a bit off the pellets on the way down to the bottom. Cories and Bristlenose get straight on the pellets also.

I'm going to give cichlid gold baby size a shot.

Update: i try the baby size floating cichlid gold. the tetras eat them but only nipple as they are a bit big. My other fish eats a few so i will have to crush a few here and there to feed them.

ironfists

Like Briztoon said, get yourself one of those Large wooden Pepper grinders where you can adjust how big the grinds come out. Seems to work out just fine without a big mess

Hmoobthor

Like Briztoon said, get yourself one of those Large wooden Pepper grinders where you can adjust how big the grinds come out. Seems to work out just fine without a big mess

i did that..it was a mess and the particular don't sink! debris was everywhere I adjust it to the coarse setting too. I stop crushing it..too much mess. I just put a few of floating hikari floating and drop some sinking for everyone to enjoy. :) They seems to love it!

Wish hikari would make much smaller baby sinking cichlid gold pellet.....

CopabX

My uncle recommended me TetraMin Tropical Granules when i got my apistos since they're really small granules (.75 mm) and i could get them at petsmart since the lfs in my area is 40 min away. my apistos can easily eat those and they're about 3/4" and 1.25". hope this helps.

briztoon

5 Year Member
Hikari also makes two tropical fish foods that I use that are a little less than 1mm, sinking pellets and wafers. Have a look on the Hikari web site to see what products they have.

Hmoobthor

My uncle recommended me TetraMin Tropical Granules when i got my apistos since they're really small granules (.75 mm) and i could get them at petsmart since the lfs in my area is 40 min away. my apistos can easily eat those and they're about 3/4" and 1.25". hope this helps.

I think i try those granules years back. ..fish never like it so i threw it away. Feeding cichlid gold sinking with success (takes a while for the pellet to soften) and the floating one they do eat it but just a few.

Algae Beater

I use New Life pellets and hikari gold pellets. All my frozen and dried foods are treated with korallen zucht additives mostly the amino acid fish and the immune stabil. Its a recent thing for me... it seems to work rather well.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….