• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pel. sp. 'blue fin'

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have two pairs of this species, and I will admit that they have not really interested me very much. Here is what they have lloked like up until today:

female:
smbluefinfemale003.jpg

Today, however, one of my females decided that she is ready to settle down and raise a family. The color change is dramatic. She is also very aggressively courting the larger of the two males. This is a bit different than my other Pelvicachromis. Taeniatus and pulcher females will court any male that swims by. She obviously has a preference, though he is not that interested yet.

Here some shots of her breeding colors. Her whole body turned a dark purple/lavender and the dorsal has black spots in it over the neon blue. Awesome. One pic is really bad, but it is the closest I got to an 'action' shot.

smbluefinfemalebreed001.jpg

smbluefinfemalebreed002.jpg

smbluefinpair001.jpg

I am going to write up an account of my experiences with this species and begin a log on them on my website... hopefully tomorrow.

Pelvicachromis

5 Year Member
Wow!

I have had some of my "Blue Fins" for over a year now and nothing. Any idea what gave her the clue to mate?

Keith

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The water parameters, at the moment are pH 6.6, 80 mS conductivity, KH 0-1. I feed three - four times a day. They have been geting bbs everyday, because I am hatching it for fry in other tanks. The bulk of their diet is a 40%veggie/40%spirulina/20%growth flake mix and a 45% protein size 2 fry crumble. An RO water change might be the trigger, as I did a 20% change with pure RO a few hours before taking the pictures.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….