• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

peat Q

harnsheng

5 Year Member
my peat(Tormec from JBL) wont sink...if i boil it,will it sink? but if i boil it,will it still work like normal peat or all the benefits are gone??

fatpuffer

5 Year Member
I dont mean to hijack this thread but what is the proper way of putting peat moss? Just dump in tank or use a mesh bag to put it in?

Js

Apistt_ed

fatpuffer said:
I dont mean to hijack this thread but what is the proper way of putting peat moss? Just dump in tank or use a mesh bag to put it in?

Js

use nylon stockings, cheese cloth, and fine mesh bags. They'll all work fine. Your water will get a yellowish tinge to it too. Hang the bag where there is direct current. Give it few days and check values of water to see if you need to add more peat or take out some. Keep checking values so there aren't any unexpected crashes or spikes in parameters. john

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use a large mesh bag that covers the bottom of the water bin. The bag sits on an old undergravel filter plate that pumps water through the bag. I use a couple of rocks to hold the bag down for the first few days.

harnsheng

5 Year Member
well,i use some cloths to wrap the peat and throw inside the tank! i asso put some of the peat in a box filter!
anyway,thanks for all of ur help!

Roach

5 Year Member
I have a small breeding tank with a UGF and I mixed some peat granules through the gravel when I set up the tank. Water is fairly yellow but it's been a very productive tank recently.
In my 4ft tank I used to have the stocking filled with peat in the wet dry filter in the last basket before water returned to the tank.

apistoireland

5 Year Member
Why use peat granules? Not exactly good value for money. Moss peat from the garden centre is much cheaper. In my breeding tanks I just stick some in the box filters or in an old nylon stocking . In my 'show'tank in the living room this wouldn't look to nice so I put it in the external filter and change the peat when exhausted. Ideally you could put it into a vat and aerate the water. Unfortunately I have space restraints and so it is not an option for me.
I would be careful puuting granules in with the gravel. The granules will eventually start to decompose.

Roach

5 Year Member
The stuff I'm using is the Sera brand peat granules. It seems to do a really good job and last for quite a while. I have thought about how I'd change it for new stuff but figure a good gravel vac would do the trick.
I also have a bucket, aerator and peat filled stocking going at the moment for water changes on small tanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….