• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Panduro with a parasite

Randall

5 Year Member
Panduro Parasite

Dear Ted,

If ever there was a likely candidate for a microscope smear examination, you've got it. I'd be very interested to know from what your fish is suffering.

Sometimes when preparing a smear, India ink added to the water at a 1:10 ratio will make the parasites stand out against a dark background for easier diagnosis.

Please share your findings with the Forum so that others may benefit from your experience.

Thank you.

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:)
Randall... the parasite is not microscopic. The worm that I pulled out originally was about 4 mm long. I will try a scope to determine whether the organism is annalid, nematode or platyhelminthes... or something else. I will also be looking for any evidence of egg production.

F

fishdoctor

These are encysted nematodes. They are the intermediate host for the parasite, the terminal host is a fish eating bird. They will not complete their life cycle in the aquarium, unless you have some herons that live in your house. There is not much that you can do for this fish, and it will not transmit to the others.

Terry Fairfield

Randall

5 Year Member
Nematodes

Well, ladies and gentlemen, the fish doctor, he has spoken.

Terry,

Is there nothing available that can irradicate encycsted nematodes that will not kill the afflicted fish in the process?

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thanks Terry,

That is pretty much what I thought. I should have a little more verification.. at least of them being of the phylum Nemotoda... next week when I pull one out and look at in under scopes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….