• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. pulcher fry

joestreich

i am wondering when you guys pull the fry out of the tank and put them in a grow out tank? When i have left them in the tank before i have lost the fry. the parents do a good job at protecting them, but they can only do so much. it seems that once the fry get a little adventurous that is the downfall. just wondering what you guys do?

thanks for the help.

Joel

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I usually let them stay with the parents for a week or two if I want to save them. If I do not need more than a dozen or so to grow out I will usually let then stay until there are about that many. I always try to leave a few, however, so that the parents can get better at being parents.

jmtrops

5 Year Member
It depends on what else is in the tank with them. if it is just the pair or just some tetras in there i leave them for a few weeks but if there are other dwarfs in there I take them as soon as I can. It also depends on the pair and type of fish also. some I can leave them in there for months without a problem and others will kill the fry if they want to breed again.

Jim

joestreich

Thanks Jim and Ted,

There are some other dwarfs in there and there is this emporer tetra who is always lurking in the thick cluster of java fern....

These fish are actually the ones i got from you, Jim. i ended up pulling them out the other day. I think i ended up getting a pretty good batch (around 40). Anyway thanks for the advice and comments.

Joel

jmtrops

5 Year Member
Those are from a F0 pair I got from Ted several years ago. My pair has huge spawns about 150 fry.

Jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….