• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Oops... Orange Flash X Double Red Coc. spawn

dwarflover

I have a tank with both orange flash and double red cockatoo apistos. I used to have a male cockatoo apisto, but he died a few months ago, leaving behind his mate, and two daughters.

Today, when I came home, I found my cockatoo female and orange flash male have spawned! Oops.
Theres a little over 50 eggs from what I can count, and they are a nice amber color.

What in the world is this cross going to look like? Has anyone seen this cross spawn before?

Will they have a mix of color and patterns? Or a mix of orange flash, and double red?

I'm seperating the female and her eggs tomorrow and will raise this spawn anyway, even though it was accidental.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Have you ever eaten apisto eggs? They are surprisingly tasty. Although, I like corydoras eggs the best. I've accidently 'destroyed' a couple of apisto spawns (batches of eggs) and decided to taste them. Not bad at all! I had a bunch of mixed cories that would breed every three days. I just scraped the eggs off the glass and ate them...rather than raising hybrid fish.

Cooder

Not gross really, considering that people eat caviar. much the same, but wouldnt they be really small?

just destroy the eggs, or u can raise them and see what they look like, what species is the orange flash? im guessing agassizii, if they are the same species just different colour morphs then i guess you could label them as a different colour strain.... i dont think they would be though, hybrids are frowned upon

prototop

5 Year Member
Is there a distinct wild population of cacatouides, that these red strains have been breed from? I would imagine that some populations are easier to 'colour red' then others. I would also imagine that 'orange flash' and 'double red' are quite close in genetics. Isn't the term 'hybrid' used for mixing different species and not domestic colour forms?

Personally, i would not start mixing WC fish of the same species from different locations. But these, properly highly inbred, domestic strains, I wouldn't beat myself up for interbreeding. Might even be good for the fish, to get some new genes in the pool.

dwarflover

Well, a snail ate the eggs >:C So won't have any mixed fish for now. Im taking the Orange Flash to a seperate tank anyway.

Yes, they are very closely related fish, almost the same fish other than different colors.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
almost the same fish other than different colors.
They aren't hybrids, they are just 2 domestic colour forms of the same species, A. cacatuoides.
What in the world is this cross going to look like? Has anyone seen this cross spawn before?
Will they have a mix of color and patterns? Or a mix of orange flash, and double red?
I crossed an Orange Flash male with a Triple Red female, and the resulting male off-spring had fin colour from yellow through to bright red, all with black chequering. I've subsequently found out fin chequering is dominant.

cheers Darrel

dwarflover

Hi all,
They aren't hybrids, they are just 2 domestic colour forms of the same species, A. cacatuoides.

I crossed an Orange Flash male with a Triple Red female, and the resulting male off-spring had fin colour from yellow through to bright red, all with black chequering. I've subsequently found out fin chequering is dominant.

cheers Darrel

Cool! Do you have any pics?

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Below is a photo of the progeny I obtained from breeding a Triple Red with the Gold/White form of A. cacatuoides.
IMO, I think the White/Gold form arose from an Orange Flash strain.
Acacatuoides002.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I don't know how the gold morphs of A. cacatuoides were developed, but breeding gold to gold produces weak fish. Many breeders, therefore, out-cross gold to another color morph, usually a red form or orange flash.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Maybe, but I have photos by Ernesto Roa of a male Yellow-gold X Double Red in which the body is entirely yellow with double red fins. Many double reds show mixed colors (blue, yellow, gray) on the body.

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
My photo only shows a few of the 155 A. cacatuoides I obtained from that spawn and they ran the gammut as Mike mentions above. That was my personal largest number of mature Apistogramma obtained from a single breeding.
Ironically not me or anyone who bought them ever bred them. I don't know why. My intention was to breed them to get some all gold/whites since it seems to be recessive to the normally pigmented fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….