• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Apistogramma Agassizii Double Red looks yellowish

BrassFace

Hi guys,

I received this male Agassizii double red a while ago. By the time, i thought he was a female bc of his yellow body tone. It’s been 2 months now, while he does gain some red on his fins and more blue reflections on the cheek, his body still looks very yellow. His fins are more on yellow/orange side than true red I seem with other double reds. I been feeding he quality dried food and frozen foods like brine shrimps and bloodworms. Anything I can do to help him color up? Thanks in advance!

4A2F0A87-88D6-4594-ACDF-53590FCDA9A8.jpeg
A31139A9-2977-40CC-858F-AC3E09B5763E.jpeg

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
He looks perfectly colorful to me. If you're comparing him to photos on the web, be cautious as many are overexposed and keep in mind fish are like any other organism where a specific batch will have some that are more red, orange, or yellow (like my brother's hair is lighter brown than mine).

You can try healthy foods etc. (though I don't like blood worms for well-documented reasons on this forum) but this could be "him." Get a spawn and raise them, and you'll find another stunner to keep after him.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. agassizii forms are generally polychromatic in the wild but 'set' domestic strains should be more consistent. The best red color enhancer that I know of are live copapods.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….