• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

numbers of different species

T

Ticman

Hi all,
New to this forum and somewhat new to apistos. Tanks size aside is there a limit as to number of different apisto species that can be placed in the same tank AS WELL as the number within the sames species.

Is there a compatibility chart anywhere for dwarf cichlids.

thanks,

mike

Tea

5 Year Member
number of species?

Hello Mike, it depends on what kind of apisot you are keeping. Some apisto's are more agressive than others and some would be better of as trios than pairs. The more aggressive fishes like the panduro will require a much larger tank space. You can keep different species of apistos in a tank but keep in mind that they will probaly interbreed with each other. Plus you will probaly have a hard time keeping track of the females, their are number of species where the females look very similar. If you were goin to keep more than 2 species in a tank I would go with a trio of cacatuiodes and a pair borellies in a 90 gal. It all depends on what type of fish you want to keep. Oh yeah there is no chart here...

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I have 7 species of apistos in my wifes 55 gallon community tank. All males and only 1 of each species. They are the back up the males to my breeding trios. There are a few squabbles here and there, but for the most part they all mind their own business.

Michael

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Rick,

Inca, borellii, viejita, cacatuoides, maulbruter, Fresa, Steel Blue
Of course the Steel Blue isn't a back up male, just a loner.

I guess with no females they have nothing to fight about. New comers get picked on a little for the first day or 2, but that settles down. I don't think any have staked out a prefered 'territory'.

Tankmates are: 2 large angelfish, 2 large sharks, 2 large plecos, 2 small plecos, 10 kuli loaches, 12 cards, 4 harlequin rasboras, 2 cherry barbs, 1 weather loach, 1 horseface loach.

The 2 sharks and 2 large plecos are going to the LFS this weekend. There are also plants, rocks, and decorations in the tank.

Michael

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
In a 90 you could put 5 or so different sp and have no problems. There is very little inbreeding between apistos at leats Ive never seen any. Probably happens in the wild though. Use fish from different complexes and its cool

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….