• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Now possible White Spot!

laura1402

Hi All,

Im beginning to wish i never purchased the Neons tetras!!!!!

Heres the background:
I purchased 9 Neon tetras just over a week ago. Well 8 Neons and 1 cardinal who got in by mistake!!!!! I read online that these fish are very prone to whitespot after moving tank due to the stress.
Last night they were fine as far as im aware. Then today i came home from work and maybe 4 of them have little tiny (pin sized) white dots on them. Each fish only has maybe 3-5 spots. How do i know if its definitely whitespot and how do i treat?

Bearing in mind that i also have Danios(so i cant turn the temp up), Cockatoo Cichlids(who are sensitve to treatments), Japonica Shrimp(also Sensitve to treatments) and Otos.

I have been using Pimafix the few days as i have a possible fungus, so will i need to use carbon or do you not have to remove that as it is a natural product.

All the fish (touch wood) are quite happy and eating well etc.

All my water readings are perfect and im doing 10% twice weekly changes. Temperature at 24c.

Your advice would be so much appreciated.

Bilbo

5 Year Member
We have a product that I use called "Blue Circle Whitespot cure" If you can get that then it’s the best stuff on the market.

I had a nasty case it whitespot recently that didn’t respond to salt, temp or anything else I tried till this stuff then one dose...gone. Didn’t harm apisto's or loaches or corys either. We cant get shrimp so I dont know how they would go.

Just found that its made here so hopefully you can get it or an equivalent

BLUE CIRCLE WHITE SPOT CURE - made by Gap Imports ltd PO box 67098 Auckland 3 NEW ZEALAND

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning,
Sorry to hear this and yes it sounds like white spot to me. No need to panic.
Do you have a spare tank ? If yes remove the shrimp into this tank. I have not heard of shrimp getting white spot and i breed them in SYD, but they are very fussy to treatments. I would then get a white spot treatment and only use half dose as stated in the instructions. All remaining fish should be fine. The last treatment I did, was one dose at 50% and kept in for 5days then 50% water change, then do it again. White spot gone. hopethis helps cheers jks

Bunnie1978

Gee, Mike... repetative much?

LOL.

I've had white spot before and it went away on it's own. I keep my tank pretty warm though, and use soft water.

laura1402

I know i should use a quarantine tank, but i havent got one. I just dont have the room or money. But after this i am just going to bite the bullet and get one.
I added my first batch of treatment last night, so far it is still only the Neons which have it to hopefully thats it.

:-(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….