• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to dwarfs and need some help.

webass

Two years ago I purchased a single African Cichlid, species unknown, and put it in my 20 gal. tank. It was the only fish in the tank and the "fish expert" at the local chain pet store said it be OK. We greatly enjoyed his digging and rearranging the gravel. My 20 gal. tank is well established with gravel substrate and an undergravel filter combined with a Whisper power filter.

Our cichlid grew to about 5" and died after two years. I have since found he was too big a species for our tank, but he hooked us on cichlids. I now want to place dwarf cichlids in the tank but I don't know if any of the dwarf species will be happy in a gravel substrate. At this time I don't want to totally redo my setup to a sand substrate.

Does anyone know if any of the dwarf species will do OK with a gravel bottom?

Thanks!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you are using a coral or limestone gravel, I would suggest one of the dwarf shell dwelling Tanganyikan species. They stay small and a 20 can handle a trio easily.

webass

Thanks Mike!

I've just returned from my LFS, that's not a national chain. They have very informed employees. I explained what I posted on my initial post to the young lady and she recommended a pair of Bolivian Rams. She also suggested I remove some of my small pellet gravel and replace it with sand-size gravel.

I've just completed the gravel change and added a few more rocks and plants to my tank. I'm ready to let the little guys out of their bag and into the tank.

I appreciate the info and will certainly use the Connection as a resource.

One more question: Do you think it's OK to add a small pleco?

Thanks again!!

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Bolivian Rams are quite a tolerant cichlid and a good choice, although they are difficult to sex until mature, sand is also better than gravel as the fish can sift through it. Are you in the UK?

Tank's a bit small for any pleco other than Otocinclus/Paraotocinclus, and I wouldn't recommend these other than an experienced planted tank keeper, with a well established tank. You could keep a single common Bristlenose (Ancistrus), but it would be too large when fully mature, and will eat the eggs if you "pair" spawn.

How about just some snails (MTS and Red Ramshorn?) and 5 or 6 small Tetras, Black Neon Tetras are reasonably good dithers, fairly tolerant, cheap and easy to obtain.

Have a look here for Bolivian Ram details <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Mikrogeophagus_altispinosa.php> and <http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=31> and at <http://www.dwarfcichlid.com/Aquarium_care.php> for more general information on dwarf cichlids.

cheers Darrel

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….