• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member looking for apistos!

Paislee

HI, I just signed up for this amazing forum because I am in love with the dwarf cichlid family. I have a new 29 gallon that I am in the process of setting up and I have been having trouble finding the one fish I want more than anything- a pair of cockatoo cichlids. If anyone knows where I may be able to order some, PLEASE let me know. I prefer some triple or quad reds but doubles are okay too.
On a different note, can anybody share their experiences with a. hongsloi? It was offered to me to buy some but dont know much about them. Im particularly curious about their hardiness and aggression towards/ compatibility with other cichlids such as german rams.
thanks!

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi Paislee + all..

I guess it depends on where you are located!!!??
A. cacatouides are often found in most Stores(in Europe!!)..or may be easily ordered if you ask them..

In Europe we also have got several options via some/a few well-stocked Local Fish Stores (they may order from German wholesalers+ Czech/Asian breeders).
Or you can join/search for local cichlid/fish Clubs or breeders..

I don´t know for sure about the rest of the world...
If you are living in the U.S. I guess you can start by some of our members ads on this site!! (Buy/sell ads!!/ The trading place - In the end of the Forums starting list!!??)
Otherwise you also have the alternative Aquabid.com on the web..

Since most Apistos are quite small cave spawning fishes , they often can not compete if placed in a small tank with other(larger) cichlids..
although some species may be excepted.. (Keyhole-cichlid + Rams??? )
In combination with Rams (lay their eggs on an open area.. a leaf, a rock or in a sand pit).. it may work, but there will always be some territorial/hierarchial disputes... so a tank with enough bottom area and sightbarriers/roots/plants(+caves for the Apistos) + separated areas for possible spawning is then recommended..
But remember that sometimes the fishes doesn`t care about what we humans have been planning/creating for them.. :);)

Read/search for threads here on this site and you will probably find recommendations and tips how to do it your own best way!!
It is a learning process that never seems to end...:)

And if you are longing/planning for Apistos spawning+fry growing up you must remember.. A community tank is not a breeding tank!!
Most fishes often eats smaller fishes... if given the chance/opportunity... so you may then have to choose which species to focus on..
You will see this comment in many other threads!!:D

/Micke

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….