• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New From UK

Phil Bailey

Hey all I’m Phil 30 from UK

I have 3 fish tanks onewith a number of African cichlids (2 x Foremouth, 2 x Electric Blue ram)
A large number of Mbuna but mainly cichlid fish

I love the Apistogramma and looking at getting some more

Look forward to chatting to you all at some point

Regards

Bailsey

Ade205

Hi Phil and welcome. Always great to see a fellow brit on here, whereabouts are you in the UK?

Assume you have the African cichlids (mbuna) in a different tank to your American cichlids? (Rams & firemouths) They have very different requirements and temperaments!

Do you currently have any Apistos? If not, what species are you planning on getting?

Ade.

Phil Bailey

Hello ade

I’m from North Yorkshire and yes don’t worry they are in different tanks

As it stands I don’t have any Apistos but I’m looking at Apistogramma cacatuoides to start and hopefully see some more different ideas on here

Ade205

Hi again Phil.

Think you'll love Cacatuoides, they started my obsession!

I started with one pair of Cacs in a 3ft community tank with plenty of tankmates including catfish. Tap water at 7.5ph, tds nearly 500ppm. They bred within 3 weeks, lost most of the fry, but they kept trying and got better which each subsequent spawn untill they were rearing 30 plus fry each time dispite the large amount of predatory tankmates!
This brought about an Apisto obsession that on top of my discus tanks, mbuna tank, and pleco tanks, added another 7 dedicated tanks for 7 different apisto species which in turn required more tanks for fry grow out! If I had more space and lower electricity bill, I'd have a lot more. Was gutted just this week end when I visited wharf aquatics in Nottingham and they had some amazing Ap. Trifasiata. Was a blue form and they were amazing, but I'd no tank space!! Took a lot of effort not to buy lol

Apistos are adictive...you have been warned lol

Ade.

Steve Rich

Hi all,

New member here from North East of England. I started keeping apisto cacs about 4 months ago, initially my pair was in my community tank but now I have separated them into their own tank, made a leaf litter / coconut hut environment for them and I'm trying to spawn them! It will be interesting at the very least.

Steve...

Steve Rich

Hi Steve. Welcome to the forum:)

I'm pretty sure won't be long before your Cacs spawn. How's the female looking? Any yellow colouration?

Ade.

Just remembered about this post sorry!

Still no joy yet. It's hard to say about the yellow because they are yellow anyway given they are double red gold.

I'm starting to wonder if she's only into girls Haha.

Conditioning via food has been a bit tough she's such a fussy eater. She will have a bit food and leave the Male to eat most of whatever I put in. Recently tried daphnia which they eat well. Considering culturing that as a test.

I'll keep trying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….