• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Needing ID help

Cat

Hello everyone,

I’ve been stalking these forums for quite awhile now for a few answers here and there but I’ve stumbled across something I can’t quite figure out.
I recently brought this labeled A. Viejita (but believed to be A. Macmasteri) believing that she was a female for my definite male also labelled A. Viejita (believed A. Macmasteri also) but from their behaviour I’m not necessarily sure if she is indeed a female now.
Both were housed in my 29 gallon community tank (with a few cardinals and rasboras), from watching the few attempted courting behaviour from the male which then led to aggression when the possible female showed no interest and fleeing behaviour.
This apisto also never really seemed all that interested in the coconut hides and the wholes in the driftwood pieces I have in my community tank but i wasn’t sure if that’s because she wasn’t ready for any spawning behaviour.
So I’ve recently decided to move the possible female to my 10 gallon Pygmy corydoras tank just to allow the stress ease between the two.
But I was wondering what you guys thought about if this is indeed a female or possible sneaker/sleeper male?
Oh and the possible female is around 4cm roughly if this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_5231.jpeg
    IMG_5231.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5232.jpeg
    IMG_5232.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5233.jpeg
    IMG_5233.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 40

rasmusW

5 Year Member
It somehow looks like a male to me, but i’m honestly not sure if it is infact a macmasteri/viejita. There is something about the dark bands on the flank, that says “not Mac, to me”… -but, i’m far from a expert.
Looking forward to hear what everybody else has to say.

-r

Cat

thank you for your response
and yeaa that was also another worry of mine at first but the seller was persistent that it was a “indeed a female viejita” even when I did question them.
(every now and then she or he will show a faint line across the lateral area but most of the time he or she appears like the 3 attached photos)

My first thought was possibly sold a female borelli? instead as both species were next to each other in the store but even that I’m still not 100% sure either.

Apistoguy52

It somehow looks like a male to me, but i’m honestly not sure if it is infact a macmasteri/viejita. There is something about the dark bands on the flank, that says “not Mac, to me”… -but, i’m far from a expert.
Looking forward to hear what everybody else has to say.

-r
I kinda resemble this ^^^. There are enough macmasteri adjacent species, I kinda thought cf hoignei-ish

Cat

Ooo you’re right there this one does look very similar to a hoignei as it does have the very faint red lines on its tail,
If it is in fact this species is it best to keep them separated ? Even if it was a female.
(though seems to be a male from your guys responses, which I was slightly worried about but also happy that I can have some clarification)
And I thank for your replies.

Cat

Ahh thank you frank for clearing that up, that’s definitely a relief.
Now just gotta figure out if it’s a male or female I’m trying to see if it’ll colour up in the smaller tank by itself or if it stays the same then I’m not really sure what to do.

Frank Hättich

5 Year Member
Ahh thank you frank for clearing that up, that’s definitely a relief.
Now just gotta figure out if it’s a male or female I’m trying to see if it’ll colour up in the smaller tank by itself or if it stays the same then I’m not really sure what to do.
If the dorsal, anal and ventral fins don't become more pointed/extended it's a female.

Cat

Oo okay thank you everyone’s responses,

I’ll definitely be keeping my eye on the fin length and shape then.
And very glad to know that it is definitely A. Macmasteri.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
At 4cm, it's probably a female. Sadly trying to breed this species in a community with cardinals, being consummate fry predators, will probably not end well. Stress will occur for both the mother and other community members from her attacks trying to protect her fry.

Cat

Yeaa I had read a few previous post on here about them not being a good fit together especially if wanting to possibly breed the hopeful pair, so I do have plans on moving the cardinals to my male betta tank (as he’s lived with some in the past with no issues) and the rasboras will be going to a friend of mine as they have a slightly bigger tank than me atm and are more than happy to take them on.
I’ve also been looking at a few more pieces of driftwood for the 29 gallon to add a few more sight blocks/possible caves and thinking on maybe adding some botanicals to give a more swampy feel to the tank to see if this can help with potential aggression if I do decide to reintroduce them back together.
Thanks for the advice and help everyone <3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarenSet

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(